Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its gettin about time to start picking chassis parts, but I have a few questions.

1) Subframe Connectors - theres ones made with box tube and another made with round rollcage tube. Benefits/Problems with these? Are either better than the other?

2)Traction Bars-Its basically come down to the over-ride bars or the under-ride bars. Says under-ride were standard on gt350 and gt500s. But that the few finest hundred in '66 got the over-ride bars. Does this mean that the over's are better? Again, which ones in your opinion are better and why?

Thanks all

·
Banned
864 Posts
Subframe:
Round tube versus square is a personal choice. As far as strength the round tube is inherently stronger by area. Now let me explain this from a engineering view. Think of stress like water flow. Water (stress) flows through the canal (frame) and comes to a bend in the canal. The water slows to make the bend. This bend is where stress collects. If you smooth the bend out the water flows smoother. Thus the stress is decreased at that point. Now how else can you smooth the flow? Increase the area of the bend. Thus there is more area for the water to flow through. The tube is smaller and flows smoother, but the channel has more area thus reducing the stress point. Design is the key to which to go with. Channel is somewhat limited as to what you can do, but has larger area. Round tube is stronger but contains less area to distribute stress but you can transfer the stress to more points by adding cross connections to transfer the stress. Both are equally as good.

Traction Bars:
Under spring bars are designed to prevent spring windup by limiting the radial motion(torque). Most every under spring I have seen was improperly installed. The key to these is to limit travel of the bar. The snubber on the front needs to be at most 1/2 inch from the spring. How many have you seen 1, 2 or more inches?
When the snubber contacts the spring it transfers the motion back along the bar and forces the axle down.

Over spring or Multi-Link is a newer design. It creates a triangle between the axle and the frame. The axle is prevented from winding up by limiting the radial movement. A far better design and more adjustable to fit your requirements. But the drawback is the cost and installation is more difficult.

Hope this helps you out.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
596 Posts
I have the traction master underide bars on mine and like them. Only issue I have is that if your going to install the subframe connecters, do them first then put the underide bars on. Can also depend on which frame connector you use. If you use the TP unit for sure put them first as they have to be welded in and the spacing is right where the under-ride bars mounts to the frame rail. I'm probably going to use the bolt kind from Mustang's Unlimted and then later put some weld's on them.
If i could recommend one other inexpensive but very functional upgrade it would be to clamps your rear leafs to prevent axle wrap which seems to common w/ these early ponies, Use 3 per side and only on the front half of the spring. This w/ the underide bars made my bad wheelhop a thing of the past. Here is link to my car it has a good close up shot, just scroll down...my .02....
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/835961

1991 Honda Civic Si- daily driver
2002 Midnight Edition Ford Escape

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ga289stocker on 8/2/06 1:29am ]</font>

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So their just u bolts with a plate on the bottom? Are all 3 connected together in any way or their all independent?
Does this prevent the leafs from seperating slightly under power?

I also just noticed for the over-ride bars I linked to, it says ... or coupe without rear seat. If the rear seat has to go, then the decision is already made for me ... under-ride bars

·
Registered
596 Posts
On 2006-08-01 11:22, pass1over wrote:
So their just u bolts with a plate on the bottom? Are all 3 connected together in any way or their all independent?
Does this prevent the leafs from seperating slightly under power?

I also just noticed for the over-ride bars I linked to, it says ... or coupe without rear seat. If the rear seat has to go, then the decision is already made for me ... under-ride bars
Yes they are independent of each other. I placed a clip on 2 leafs, then 3 leafs then 4 leafs about an inch back from where they first come together. I then grinded off the excess material. for the money it was the best mod I've done to help my suspension. Yes they prevent seperation on the front half of spring to limit the axle wrap. I did leave the stock wrap around clamps on the rear of the spring pack as they came from the factory. I got mine on ebay 2 clamps for 6 bucks, they sell them at summit and jegs as well or some guys make there own..

1991 Honda Civic Si- daily driver
2002 Midnight Edition Ford Escape

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ga289stocker on 8/2/06 5:10am ]</font>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts