Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Happy New Year!

Was checking the oil today on a car I recently acquired. Noticed possible water droplets along the length of my dipstick, which I wiped away, and caught a picture of some white substance. I am running Castrol GTX 10w30 and a quart of Lucas oil treatment, basically because they removed something from oils since 1970. Anyone know? I am wondering currently about my head gaskets sort of.

·
Registered
830 Posts
The title of this thread made me hesitant to open. But i clicked and peaked with one eye.

Thats called condensation. Every time i pulled the valve covers to check spring pressures and lash the valves, that stuff was all over. That substance they probably removed is zinc.

BTW, thats a small dipstick you got there.

·
Registered
7,490 Posts
As long as the perpetrating substance easily wipes off your dipstick, you're probably okay. lol

Yea, it could be simple condensation... especially if the car sits much at all. Keep an eye on it. If it continues or gets worse, especially with regular running, you might want to look into it further. But for now, it's nothing that needs immediate attention.

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
1,330 Posts
Can happen when you don't run the engine long enough to get it hot enough to cook off water condensation.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
You need to service the PCV System.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Agree with arnoldtx. It should boil off when the engine gets up to temp.
If it keeps coming back, you have problems. Water will boil off, coolant won't.
I see in small diesel engine where guys yank the t-stat. Works fine in the summer, not so good in the winter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts