Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suggest a Torque Converter!

I have to buy a new Torque converter and I must have a 3000rpm stallspeed converter to match my 430Hp 351W engine.
I will not run my car for racing only! Just for fun on the street and sometimes on the strip.

I got stuck to Coan Racing converter since I hear alot of good about them.
These converters has a billet stator that sounds great.
But they cost atleast $511 and looks seriously built

On previous Ford trannys i have owned, I have used TCI converters and they work but I didn't think I got the stallspeed it suppose to.
They also looks very cheap built ! ? !? !?!?!?
But the price is about $100 less than Coan

What do you think? Is Coan Racing to good for my application?
OR will TCI Streetfigher be a good pick?

What about Broader Performance?
Are they making good performance converters?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MrPer on 12/13/06 4:58am ]</font>

·
Registered
5,551 Posts

TCI makes pretty good converters, IMO. Not the greatest, but they do work and they're not a GER junker.

I buy mine at a place thats semi-local (about 100 mi), but I've never in my life seen a converter that's built as good as he builds them. Billet covers with reinforcements, billet stators when needed, etc. they aren't cheap but they're definetely nice!

I've used TCI, PTC, Coan (got that one used), Dacco, and of course the ones I get from the place that is local. I used a Dacco converter in my car a while back while mine was broken....it worked pretty good for a cheapie. It was supposed to be a 3500 stall converter (rated behind 400 HP big block) for a turbo 350. I put it on my powerglide/415" windsor making around 525hp, and it would footbrake flash at about 5200. Only made 14 runs on the strip with it, but it did what it was supposed to...and the owner only paid something like $250 for it new.

The TCI one I used was a 3000 stall "saturday night special" that was used originally in my old '74 Maverick with a naturally aspirated very mild 302. I built a turbo 302 for it later on and used the saem converter. Split a couple blocks, broke one crankshaft and numerous other things but never hurt the converter. My converter guy says they're actually darn good converters for the money....and I trust his judgement.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts

Coan makes a good converter. I've had good luck with TCI. TCI stuff seems to favor "tight", as my Super Street Fighter stalls about 3200 instead of the 3400+ advertised. The Street Fighter in the Mustang stalls about 2800 instead of 3000. A TCI Street Fighter behind a 351W would probably stall about 3000 and be a really nice street converter.

·
Registered
159 Posts

I had one built by edge converters. They use M1 tank billet stators and specially cast front sections. Mines a 9 1/2" version and stalls exactly at 4000 which is very reasonable driving on the street. Best investment I have ever made.

Ive used a lot TCI stuff before and I'll never own another TCI product. You know the old saying ... Burn me once shame on you...burn me 7 or 8 times and its time to stop being a cheap jackass and start buying parts that don't suck.

438" Dart Windsor, AFR 225 heads, 271/[email protected]" on 106 solid roller, 13:1 compression, Super Victor, crank trigger, 1050 Dominator, external oiling, reverse manual C4, 4000 stall, 4.10 Dana 60, Nitrous. Street '68 Cougar. 9.967 at 134 MPH! 1.44 60 ft

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: mikeandnatasha on 12/13/06 10:38pm ]</font>

·
Registered
3,233 Posts

I've used JW, ATI and TCI stuff pretty good luck with alll of them.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts

On 2006-12-13 07:37, mikeandnatasha wrote:
Ive used a lot TCI stuff before and I'll never own another TCI product. You know the old saying ... Burn me once shame on you...burn me 7 or 8 times and its time to stop being a cheap jackass and start buying parts that don't suck.
I hear that! From the dealings I've had with TCI they will never get anymore of my money.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks for your opinions!

My current TCI Breakaway for FMX tranny works just fine but lacks the launch point I like.
It should have 2400rpm but feels more like "around" 1900-2400rpm

I think I try Broader Performance first if they answer my mail I sended to them about the parts and converer I need for the new C4.
Or are Broader Performance not a good choise for converters?

If I don't get any help think I stick with Coan since I already got good help from them.

I also mailed ATI Performance Products but they never answer on my mails to them. Maybe because I live in Sweden?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MrPer on 12/14/06 12:29am ]</font>

·
Registered
502 Posts

did you mail to ATI or email to ATI? just curious. i know they sell internationally. i know them pretty well down there since they are about 3 miles from my house, & i use a lot of their products.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts

Broader is excellent - know his stuff well and cares that things get done right.

·
Registered
88 Posts

Iam also going with a TCI streetfighter

·
Registered
739 Posts

On 2006-12-13 07:37, mikeandnatasha wrote:
...burn me 7 or 8 times and its time to stop being a cheap jackass and start buying parts that don't suck.
That's laugh out loud funny. I have to admit I'm a cheap jackass. I got a TCI off eBay and took it to the local guy to cut it open and check it out. Of course he wanted me to buy a $500 unit he builds
with a very nice one piece machined (I don't think it's billet) front half. All new innards etc.
Being a CJA, I staved him off and he freshened mine up, brazed the fins and buttoned it up.
I've got my fingers crossed but I can't help wondering whether I should've popped for the top shelf unit...

·
Registered
659 Posts

Broader Performance is a good Co. They are stand up people.. take good care of you.
All the parts if have gotten from them have been excellent.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Thanks!
I have contact Broader Performance by mail 2 times now but no answer yet.

Maybe bussy wrapping all those christmas presents.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts