Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here's the setup:

'68 mustang
351C 4v
manual tranny
power steering

The car sits about 1.5" below stock. I'm looking for some good headers that I can get on without too much of a hassle, and that won't hang too low. I tried a set at one point but they were very much in the way of the clutch linkage AND the steering, so I just went back to manifolds.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Hooker Competition header part # 6920 is for 67-70 Mustang with 351C w/ 4V heads, app guide says will fit with P/S (no drop bracket needed), and manual trans. 1 3/4" x 32" tubes, 3" collectors. $182 from Summit

·
Registered
76 Posts
try sanderson headers my buddy had them make him some for his 351c. his are shorty headers and fit nice he is running a 5speed with them and he got about 2.5 inch drop in is suspension

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 63var on 6/27/02 1:25pm ]</font>

·
Premium Member
837 Posts
Where do the sanderson shorties come out at compared to stock? Is it easy to get them on, could I possibly get them on from the top? I have a 71 torino gt, 351c 4v. Its very obnoxious to find any head that fits powersteering and a manual tranny.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
You could also try Tubular Automotive. They've been around for a while, make a lot of headers for engine swaps, etc. They don't have a web site, but you can call them at 781-878-9875. They are located in Rockland, MA.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all the tips. do headers normally make a noticable power difference on clevelands? i was told that cleveland 4V manifolds were pretty decent, so are headers even worth the trouble? my car sounds like a monster as it is... i bet the right set of headers would make it even better.

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Don't know about the difference in a 4V head, but I felt a huge seat of the pants difference after I installed them on my 2V heads. As far as sound goes, mine actually sounds better with the headers. Before the headers, the exhaust was just loud. It's still loud, but with a more throaty powerful sound.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Although the 4V manifolds have larger ports than the 2V, the collector opening is the same on both (2&quot
, so I don't know if the 4V's will really help you. I switched back from headers to manifolds (the headers limited my steering), and I actually gained a little torque on the bottom end. I can, however, feel a loss of acceleration at rpm's above 4500 or so. Since mine is just a daily driver, its really not a concern.
All in all, I guess it depends on how you want the vehicle to run.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I used Hooker super comps(1 7/8" into 3.4 collectors). That was with my C6 also. Its a tight fit!!!
But its possible. You will have to take out the steering box and drop down the front linkage however. But it works well. Im very happy with the headers
Even though hooker told me I cant fit them to a C6..hahaha
Anyways, good luck.

Oh yeah, almost forgot, I tried to use the drop bracket but it looked to me as if it would not clear the headers for my p/s so I ended up buying that conversion thing to use the old sterring linkage with m/s.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fastback68 on 6/29/02 12:14pm ]</font>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts