Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
What do you plan to use it for? If its any help, we have built 3 engines with a $20 harbor freight torque whrench, although there is no guarantee it super accurate. For normal stuff I would say the summit brand should be fine. If you're doing internal stuff, Rods, mains, even heads, you might want to make sure you are using an accurate wrench.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Summit brand SUCKS.....period!!

·
Registered
391 Posts
when it comes to precision instruments use what the pros use,sur buy your sockets,wrenches,screw drivers from them,when you slam your hand in to a block or fender somewhere,no big deal.that'll heal up,but when you tweak your block,or a rocker stud/rod bolt backs out/off,you can bet on your torqe wrench as the culprit,i personaly use snap-on
instrument.or at the very least...........craftsman.we're talking torque wrenches here not sledge hammers.

·
Registered
448 Posts
When it comes to something like a torque wrench don't scrimp just to save a few bucks, drop a cheap one once and the calibration is history if it was ever even close, spend your money on a quality tool made by a known quality company that you can contact if their ever are problems

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is what i figured. I am not engine building now, but i probably will be in a few years. I will wait until i really need one and get a good one.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
And, cheap or expensive, make sure you have the calibration checked. I recently found a new Craftsman torque wrench on evilbay for $45, Sears sells it for $75. Checked the calibration and it was dead on. You can find deals if you shop around.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Look in the phone book for a meterology lab, the kind of place that cals meters etc: most can do torque wrenches, can also be done with a Skidmore but if your not in the steel business they are hard to come by

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Yeah, look in the phone book or do an on-line search for cal labs in your area. In my case, I do the instument calibrations for the place I work at.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts