Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a summit CDI box ( Summit Racing SUM-850610 - Summit Racing Street & Strip® Multi-Spark Digital Capacitive Discharge Ignitions - Overview - SummitRacing.com ) a couple weeks ago. I have a magnetic pick up distributor that I got from procomp. I know its cheap but it has worked great for 3 years now. With the box I picked up this coil ( Summit Racing SUM-850505 - Summit Racing Street & Strip® High Vibration Coils - Overview - SummitRacing.com) That the guy from summit suggested. Hooked up everything as shown. Tested 12v from key switch, also tested spark from coil. All good. Hooked up everything and went to start it.... no start. Went back to diag and found that the new coil wasnt working. Switched out the coil, tested it with the box. All was good, went to start it and again no spark. Diag it again again the coil was dead. I contacted summit about the matter with no help. I have the ground hooked up to the intake manifold with a good strap and the power straight to battery. The weird part was that before I got the box the car ran fine. I thought it might be the box itself so I exchanged it for a new one when i switched out the coil. Any idea?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I got a summit CDI box ( Summit Racing SUM-850610 - Summit Racing Street & Strip® Multi-Spark Digital Capacitive Discharge Ignitions - Overview - SummitRacing.com ) a couple weeks ago. I have a magnetic pick up distributor that I got from procomp. I know its cheap but it has worked great for 3 years now. With the box I picked up this coil ( Summit Racing SUM-850505 - Summit Racing Street & Strip® High Vibration Coils - Overview - SummitRacing.com) That the guy from summit suggested. Hooked up everything as shown. Tested 12v from key switch, also tested spark from coil. All good. Hooked up everything and went to start it.... no start. Went back to diag and found that the new coil wasnt working. Switched out the coil, tested it with the box. All was good, went to start it and again no spark. Diag it again again the coil was dead. I contacted summit about the matter with no help. I have the ground hooked up to the intake manifold with a good strap and the power straight to battery. The weird part was that before I got the box the car ran fine. I thought it might be the box itself so I exchanged it for a new one when i switched out the coil. Any idea?
most likely wired wrong
you got wires in the wrong place

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Should be, intake bolts to heads, to block to ..

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Do the directions for the box specify where to connect power and ground? The directions for my Mallory HyFire say specifically to connect both directly to the battery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.