Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the engine and transmission in my 64 but it will be a while before I can drive it and I don't want to load it up on a trailer and haul it to a muffler shop. How many of you have used the Summit kit for a Mustang, specifically part number SUM-680110 which is the 2 1/4" kit? I realize I will have to buy some extra straight lengths of pipe to connect to the Hedman 88400 headers and also to extend the tail pipes to the bumper. I won't be using the mufflers that come with it because I don't want turbo mufflers. How did the tail pipes fit around the rear axle? I was thinking about ordering one of their 2 1/4" builders kits and making my own but there's not much difference in price and I wouldn't have to make the curve over the tail pipes with the Mustang kit.

I installed one of their dual exhaust kits on my 66 Chevy II and made down tubes to connect to the manifolds. The mufflers are ok, but I ended up switching to Flowmasters.

·
Registered
129 Posts
did you ever find a solution? I've got the same question as you. I can not find a reliable shop to run the exhaust. I'm new here and beginning on my 64 futura two door hard top. 289ci ford o matic tranny. Any advice will be appreciated. I'm trying to stay away from so much welding and would prefer a slip on clamp type systemThanks, bamabrown.

·
Registered
129 Posts
have not found a shop near by and can not find a slip and clamp system. I finally just chopped the tail pipe sections and dumped the pipes just before the axle. Not to sound condescending but everyone I talk to at the parts vendors seem to be way young, inexperienced with a foreign accent and don't know their product. good luck with your project.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I also would like to know. I have a 3" system that I want to take to the bumper of my '65. My Aero Chamber mufflers are under the rear seat area and dump in front of the rear axle. I was looking at their preformed pipes but I'm not too sure I wouldn't be throwing away my money on them.

·
Registered
129 Posts
this is bamabrown again. just got back from a short run. the way I cut and dumped the exhaust sounds great but would rather have them more convential. i'm still running old cheery bomb mufflers but I did have to add a couple of pipe hangers to make up for the dangling effect. thinking about staying with this set up but trying to turn the pipes out just in front of the rear tires. old school but cheaper. I know this aint much help but it's still a cool falcon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts