Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. My 1990 Super Coupe turned itself off the other day, the engine just shut off! Checked the spark, checked out ok, then noticed that the fuel pump didn't sound very strong. Normally when you turn on the key, you can hear the pump fairly easily, but now it sounds very weak, or sometimes you don't even hear it at all. I put the car up on the hoist and pulled the line off the filter, there was no fuel pressure at all in the line, it just dribbled out. I next had the wife go up in the car and turn the key to run the pump. The pump started briefly and a very small amount of fuel sort of ran weakly out the line till the pump shut off. It sounds to me like I should be replacing the pump but I thought I would check here first before getting into the big job of removing the tank. Any thoughts on anything else I should be checking?
David

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
Sounds like either the pump of the pickup filter. Either way, the pump's got to come out. Best bet is to just get another pump & be done with it. You SURE don't want to starve a boosted engine for fuel!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Almost guaranteed the pumps trash. (what?......ford having concerns with in tank fuel pumps?..........egads.......................

Seriously. 99.9% the pumps taking a dump.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts