Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Huge dilemma. Anyone running edelbrock super victor intakes........let me know how they fit on YOUR heads.
They will not fit without a HUGE amount of machining with AFR 205 heads. I don't think it's an AFR issue. I think it's crappy edelbrock forging/casting issues.
The victor jr. my machinist had laying around fits/lines up perfectly.
What a POS!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
A buddy of mine purchased a 408 from DSS. It's a complete assembled engine... intake to oil pan. It has AFR 205 heads, and came with a Super Victor intake... in the box. They didn't install it. He hasn't tried to install the intake yet either, since the car is not ready. Hmmm... I wonder why DSS left the intake off. They didn't seem to have a problem with installing the oil pan and such.

I hope it fits... (fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath.

You guys said the heads are too wide. This does not make sense to me. Exactly what is the problem with the fit? Is the INTAKE wider than it should be... (manifold physicall won't fit between the heads) or is it narrower... (too large of a gap between the manifold and the intake ports of the head?

I called Edelbrock tech @ 1-800-416-8628 ext. 4 and they had not heard anything about these intakes not fitting correctly... go figure.

There is a ridge above the head's intake port openings that might interfere with getting the intake down onto the engine. An intake with taller ports might have trouble fitting down between there... but it was slid in from behind, there shouldn't be an issue. (just speculation)

You might give them a buzz... and I'll tell Eric to check and see if his is going to work.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Talked to MY machinist today, and we're gonna start with .100" off the sides, and .040" off the bottom. (of the intake).
Allegedly (from heresay), the super vic is made 'fatter' from edelbrock to be custom 'cut' to YOUR particular application. I haven't seen **** in writing yet, just lots of talk.
Still sucks. A one use intake. Build it for one application. You change the app, it's junk. (unless you're a really good aluminum welder)

To answer one question, the intake sits HIGH as in like 1/4" high on top of the head ports. It fits down onto the heads. Put the gaskets on, (they're .065" thick x 2), and it really sits high.
I don't think it's a head problem. Allegedly the 205's are to stock specs, appearance/size wise, so it's the intake that's poopie. (for lack of a better word).
Again, the victor jr. plopped right into place, fit perfectly. (with the gaskets too).
Oh, well, more aluminum chips on the floor.
OH,by the way, I had to reschedule the dyno time for the 7th of march.....bummer........

·
Registered
127 Posts
Is it just me or does the "one time machining to fit" just mean that you could machine it to stock specs and still be able to use it for other applications, correct?

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They're supposedly machined to stock specs. (hmmmmmmmmmmm?). It's going to be hit and miss at any one point. You custom fit it to your setup, and hopefully that setup doesn't change too radically where MORE machining is needed. You can make 'em smaller, but making them bigger/wider again is gonna be HARD.
All depends on your setup. If you mill the heads more, plane the block more, you're changing ALL the angles all over again.
My block, (this year), was only taken down .010" . The AFR's are completely untouched, (cut wise). The intake was untouched. And it fits like ****. It's going to be cut. (the intake). Now whether or not I keep the block/setup next year is still to be seen.
I'm already planning on going 14-15 to 1 with an SVO block next year, so probably have to get another intake at that time. Who knows...........

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dragstang, It probably is this way since it's a race manifold and they want to accomodate everyone. You should always figure on having the manifold fitted. You usually have to do that on other makes as well.

·
Registered
314 Posts
As an FYI, the last regular 351W Vic jr that I bought also had to be worked to get it to fit.

The intake had a raised area over each port along the edge that mates to each head just like the new Super Victor. The old Vic Jr's were flat along this edge. I borrowed one at the time from a buddy to compare. Go to their site and compare the pics of the Vic Jr and Super Vic and you will see waht I mean.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html

The raised area kept it from seating against my uncut Windsor Sr iron heads. I spent about an hour on it with a die grinder and then belt sander. I had to cut the raised area off. I cut/smoothed it down to the level of the flat part of the edge. I called Ebok about it and they said it was so that builders with high port heads (the Ebok Victor, not Jr) could have some material to match the heads and intake.

This was right after the came out with the Victor heads and they told me that all their intakes would be done this way now becasue they didn't want to make heads that they didn't also have an intake for.

Still ticked me off though. If I would have known of this running change I would have looked for a used one with a flat rail. I guess they think that since they own the 351W market on single planes that they can do as they please.

Later

David Cole

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
I just looked at my buddy's 408 stroker w/AFR 205 heads. The block is a new Sportsman unit, and the heads are brand new. There is no excessive milling of anything. Yes, he does have a Super Victor intake that is awaiting installation on the brand new engine.

I placed the intake on the engine without gaskets and the bolt holes lined up perfectly, but the ports were not perfect. The ports in the Super Victor intake seeme to be raised around 1/8" without the gasket. With the gasket, they would be even higher. This would be fine if a person was doing their own port work and could mock-up the engine ahead of time to see where everything lined up. I would allow them to raise the roof on the intake ports (which would be good), but it kind of sucks on an EXISTING engine.

I guess the Edelbrock Victor heads (not jr.) have raised ports, and this intake is made to work with them.

To make things right, it looks like we're going to have to mill the port faces and bottom of the intake to make the ports match up, then mill the bolt holes so the intake bolts will align again... either that, or remove the heads and port out the roofs.

And to think Eric paid DSS $175 to port match the intake to the heads... All they did was slap a gasket on there and polish it up a bit. It's not even close to being port matched to the HEAD. Oh well....

Good Luck!

·
Registered
14,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Like I stated earlier, we're going to START with taking .120" off the sides and probably .045" on the bottom. The intake gaskets are .060" thick themselves.
Hopefully the intake will be cut for a check out by tomorrow evening, (tuesday). (hopefully)..........

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm wondering what the outcome was here?

I have a super victor and afr 205's that are poorly matched and I think they need to be cut too.
It looks like the intake is stting about 1/8" to high and in some spots I see the side too.
Can you guys post what you found out here? Numbers and/or hard data?
If I mill .125 off the sides what comes off the bottom?

·
Registered
674 Posts
I have found port allignment issues wit hany eddy intake that lists port dimensions on Fords anyway. Once past the Torqer. The VrJr carb is closest to fitting port is raised only aprox .089. Based on GT40 or DOOE cylinder head port location. The Victor 5.0 EFI is aprox .285 over the same heads port location. Think I had to machine about .285 off each side and about half of what was needed off the china wall reducing the gap to half of what is required to install the cork in front and rear because the material was getting to thin under the water crossover.

In other word the Victor EFI 5.0 was designed for heads with a port raised about .285 / .300 ish in the cylinder head.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I have found port allignment issues wit hany eddy intake that lists port dimensions on Fords anyway. Once past the Torqer. The VrJr carb is closest to fitting port is raised only aprox .089. Based on GT40 or DOOE cylinder head port location. The Victor 5.0 EFI is aprox .285 over the same heads port location. Think I had to machine about .285 off each side and about half of what was needed off the china wall reducing the gap to half of what is required to install the cork in front and rear because the material was getting to thin under the water crossover.

In other word the Victor EFI 5.0 was designed for heads with a port raised about .285 / .300 ish in the cylinder head.
better to cut the manifold than stack gaskets toi fit .
thats the fun , making things fit , the more you pay for it the worse the OTB fit

·
Premium Member
810 Posts
I'm wondering what the outcome was here?

I have a super victor and afr 205's that are poorly matched and I think they need to be cut too.
It looks like the intake is stting about 1/8" to high and in some spots I see the side too.
Can you guys post what you found out here? Numbers and/or hard data?
If I mill .125 off the sides what comes off the bottom?
I'd imagine that every engine is a little bit different. On my Windsor with AFR 205's and a Super Victor, we took .080" off the sides of the intake and nothing off the bottom. I really wish I'd have dyno'd mine after the intake port mismatch was corrected.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I'd imagine that every engine is a little bit different. On my Windsor with AFR 205's and a Super Victor, we took .080" off the sides of the intake and nothing off the bottom. I really wish I'd have dyno'd mine after the intake port mismatch was corrected.
I sure would like to know. I dynoeed my 408 with mismatched seals, due to schedue I did not have time to have the intake machined...

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
I'd be curious too about the HP difference-IMHO it probably isn't that much.

Just to add to the original thread . . . .

I had my 2nd, 3rd or maybe 4th hand Super Vic cut .050" as it was riding high between the AFR 205's with .062" gaskets. I probably took that much off the china wall mating sides with body disc. Silicone is used to fill the remaining china wall gap.

I also have a newer Vic Jr (not cut with only dyno time and it fits very nicely both up and down and side to side. In the past I had used older Vic Jr. that I cut .080" and it could have used another .020" or more. That one required .080" to be taken off the china wall mating sides.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts