Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

If the cooling system is efficient enough with a N/A motor, will it suffer with a supercharged engine?

When you're cruising the cooling system of a supercharged engine should do the job and if you get into the boost, will the cooling system die?

Just to make sure if I have to change my stock radiator or not (4 years old, 7000 miles on it).

Thanks,

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Most likely if it is marginal it might give problems but if you have a good rad and pump and all else is good it should be fine. You won't have your foot in it ALL the time most likely

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Most likely if it is marginal it might give problems but if you have a good rad and pump and all else is good it should be fine. You won't have your foot in it ALL the time most likely
Right CPT. The radiateur is 4 years old and the new engine we are building will have a brand new engine block and brand new other parts.

To be one the safe side, I'll change it. I've seen nice radiator from Griffin for a decent price and it will be easier to do it once.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
Right CPT. The radiateur is 4 years old and the new engine we are building will have a brand new engine block and brand new other parts.

To be one the safe side, I'll change it. I've seen nice radiator from Griffin for a decent price and it will be easier to do it once.
Sounds like a plan!

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
As Virgil said, if it's good - it's good. More HP will make more heat, but that only comes in short applications. I agree that if you had a bad or questionable radiator, I would say change it, but if yours is working fine now, I would wait and see if it handles the new power. Generally it will, with a reasonable surge in the temperature after a run. Of course, if you wanted to change it anyway for another reason, this makes a good excuse. ;)

If replacing for a supercharged street or drag engine, the total quantity of coolant is the most important factor. You need mass to absorb spikes in temperature, and cooling area or efficiency is secondary. So, choose one with a large core volume, large tanks, and some even add a flow-through tank to the system (engines using extended power application, like desert racers and mountain climbers) to add flowing coolant volume.

David

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
I think you are going to have to upgrade your cooling system. All your air flow is going through the super charger even at low boost cruise. Even with an intercooler it is going to run hotter.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your feedback. I'll change it, for sure. I've seen bad ass radiator direct fit from Griffin, rated to 6 to 800hp so I'll be up to date.

I have also to keep in mind that the average temperature where I live during the summer is around 21 Celsius degree so 70-71 F so not that hot.

I'll also run an intercooler in front of it.

As we are talking about the cooling, can I get rid of the trans radiator and plug the lines on the integrated cooler of the Griffin radiator?

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
All automatics run some sort of cooler. The least affective is through the cooler line in the radiator. If you take your trans fluid lines off that you should install an external cooler. If the trans has been tweaked up with a looser converter an external cooler is pretty much manditory.

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
this one is sweet, direct fit and can cool up to 600hp, should be sufficient for me, what do you think?

Griffin Thermal Products 7-569BC-CXX - Griffin Aluminum Musclecar Radiators - Overview - SummitRacing.com
Very nice. Yes, that would easily do. If you're not concerned with original-looking stuff (and with a blower, I guess not ;)) this one cools about the same or a bit more and is far less expensive. Of course, you would have to modify your brackets or make a pair, though that's not any big deal. You are using electric fans? Just showing alternatives of stuff that will also do the job. You already have a big external cooler for the trans, right?

David

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi David,

Yes, I do have an external transmission cooler.

But I was thinking of ordering a griffin radiator with an integrated transmission cooler to avoid having a transmission cooler+ big intercooler and radiator.

Do you see what I mean?

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
I understand completely, but you must have good tranny cooling, and an internal radiator cooler won't cut it at 700hp. There are a number of options, such as angled between the radiator support and the cross-member, or two smaller ones on each side, or placed at the rear of the engine compartment between the torque boxes and the frame, or below the rad in the lower grille area, or other options. With a good radiator, having all three up front can still work, even with the charge cooler and trans cooler getting most of the fresh air. You are seeing some of the challenges to any high-HP project. Keep at it.
:tup:
David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts