Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just purchased a 95 sc mustang. when i was shifting gears 2-3 at 5400 rpm there was a loud pop sound. i thought i blew something, but the car seemed to drive fine after. what is it? should i be worried?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I am just going to guess her but while you were under boost the a/f ratio got really rich and when you shifted the RPM's droped and so you passed un burnt fuel in to the exhaust where it ignited

I wouldn't worry about it to much, if you want to hear somethin loud try hitting a rev limiter with nitrous flowing, it had open pipes

·
Registered
83 Posts
Or it could have been the pop off valve. Make sure your springs in the head are up to par with the supercharger. That happened to me years back and about the fourth pop was my engine blowing up. A rod let go from the force of the backfire. It was a 351-c with a Dyers 6-71 Supercharger.

·
Registered
359 Posts
umm if you really want to control the A/F ratio get a aftermarket chip designed for supercharged cars. Do you have any other mods aside from the supercharger(mass air, bigger injectors, boost timeing retard?)

·
Registered
749 Posts
try this:

pull the plugs and check them over...check the heat range and plug gap. You can not run the stock plug gap in blown setups. I ran .032-.037 in my blown 90 5.0 ...boost can blow out the spark and cause fuel to gone unburned...leaving raw fuel in the exhaust sys as mentioned. If you are running the stock ignition stuff...consider increasing the spark energy
I know about the big boom cause it happened to me

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have no other modifications other than the complete s-trim supercharger kit excluding the aftercooler. Spark plugs, cap and rotor, wiring are all stock.

Is that why I my car smells like gas?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts