Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here ever done or seen a '65 Galaxie with an 8-71 blower on top of an FE motor? Obviously it's not going to fit under a stock hood, but how about with a teardrop hood? If I do the blower and there's just no way to cover it up with a hood, what kind of setup might look good sticking out of the hood while still being effective at air filtration and allowing driving in the rain etc? Still have no plans for a second car so it will have to be road ready under all conditions.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You can get the tear drop hood scoop from JEGS. It stick up 4'' above the hood.I fiberglassed it in place, it's for show only(FOR NOW).
Have you thaught about a low profile blower?
I have, and also have thought about two of the small ones but I think an 8-71 would be a lot simpler to set up, not to mention the awesome old school look of the thing.

What do you mean "FOR NOW"? What's in store for all that space under your hood? =)

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
You could always go for an extra extra large bubble scoop.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could always go for an extra extra large bubble scoop.
Wow, that's a bigg'un! Don't look too bad either, I could do that maybe. May need to tub it and put in a roll cage for it to look right though, lol

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
!!! ILLEGAL !!!

Most states imply a 4" scoop height limit only. Before going there, make sure it is legal as SMOKEY does carry a tape in the car.

Why would you be concerned about the old school look if the blower is covered?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
!!! ILLEGAL !!!

Most states imply a 4" scoop height limit only. Before going there, make sure it is legal as SMOKEY does carry a tape in the car.

Why would you be concerned about the old school look if the blower is covered?
Good points! I'll be sure check out the legality of what I want to do before spending money. Keeping it under the hood however, is more about keeping the weather out than anything else. It will be seen from time to time no doubt, and the cooler it looks the more likely I'll pop the hood if someone asks. I've always admired cars that look sharp under the hood. Unfortunately mine is a bit of a mess right now and needs some attention. Hood stays closed for now, nobody look. :frown:

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
Just my opinion but I dont think the tear drop flows with the rest of the cars lines, especially that really tall one, it looks out of place.

Looks better on LAgalaxie's becuase his fenders have more radius to them.

·
Registered
977 Posts
65er
For now it's for LOOKS. I'll know more after I get the 460 running.
This is HEAR SAY'' A coworker says he can get a 429 super jet that has a cracked block'' my ? is will any of the parts fit the 460? I donn't want to get my HOPES up till I have the motor in my posession , IF ya'll know what I mean..

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
A coworker says he can get a 429 super jet that has a cracked block'' my ? is will any of the parts fit the 460? I donn't want to get my HOPES up till I have the motor in my posession , IF ya'll know what I mean..

Yep they will all fit the 460. they are the same series block. (385 series)

·
Registered
10,327 Posts
65er - I would stick with the 6-71 or one of the more efficient smaller models. Unless you're running over 450 cubes, the 8-71 will have to be under-driven to keep boost down, and then rotor bypass leakage will make it more inefficient and soft at lower revs. I'm presuming pump gas? I'm also presuming street with little or no race (but if you do it's just for fun)?

BTW - driving in he rain is no problem. Even sitting in the rain isn't a big deal, as long as the water cannot puddle to be gulped-in on startup. As far as hiding it, figure your manifold height, and add about 7.5" for the blower case, and then whatever height for your throttle setup (carbs, throttle plate, bug catcher, etc.) and then add for your filter system. It gets tall. There is also no reason to use a GMC blower except for nostalgia or 1000+hp on the track. They are relatively inefficient, can't run as much boost without pump gas det, and big. But, they are the epitome of coolness.

I have conceived some creative low-profile throttle and filter setups, but they would be fuel injected and non-traditional. I don't know if traditional appearance is your big thing or not. If you're serious about this, fill us in on what you're wanting and what it needs to do.

David

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
A coworker says he can get a 429 super jet that has a cracked block''

my ? is will any of the parts fit the 460? I donn't want to get my HOPES up till I have the motor in my posession , IF ya'll know what I mean..
A 429SCJ?

Yes, intake, heads and exhaust manifolds.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
A 429SCJ?

Yes, intake, heads and exhaust manifolds.

Ahhh com'on now Kultz, the only difference is the stroke, so more than your list will swap. cranks, cams, etc... Give the whole story. The cj/scj blocks were different as they all were 4 bolt blocks, and the 460's werent. (well MOST of them were 4 bolt, think some of the very early 70 models were 2 bolt mains)....

A quick google search should help the OP.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
65er - I would stick with the 6-71 or one of the more efficient smaller models... fill us in on what you're wanting and what it needs to do.

David
Basicially I'd like to push somewhere around 500 HP which from what I've been hearing should be very do-able with a pretty basic 390 with the right cam and around 8 psi boost. I've already got most of the pieces to build a good 8: or 9:1 390 short block so I could get that part done pretty darn cheap and easy. My current 390 is pushing an estimated 375 horses right now and it's just nearly enough to suit me, the other 100+ would get me where I want to be for sure. Looks under the hood matter but the real main focus would be low RPM torque for my heavy daily driver. It needs to move me in the RPM range where I live most of the time.

This whole idea hit me when I saw all the $500 blowers on Ebay the other day, and after asking around a bit it seemed that the M122 or whatever wouldn't be up to the job and for a non-intercooled low boost application a 6-71 or 8-71 would be just the thing. Especially considering the vehicle it would be going in. But now it's looking like the dinosaur blowers are just too huge and won't fit the space I have to work with. I really don't want engine parts sticking up through of the hood, and really I don't even want a bubble but I could live with it.

Another thing I've come across through all this looking around is the twin blower setup. A pair of blowers from a 3.8L V6 engines should be able to feed 7.6 L right? So even underdriven they should be plenty for a 6.4 L FE. Hopefully not excessive needing too much underdrive if air leakage is going to be a problem. It would take a fair amount of fab work to mount it all up but I can handle that. I was expecting to fab an intake manifold anyway before I started thinking about the 8-71. I've seen a couple of the twin setups on Youtube so I know it can be done. I'm thinking that may be my best bet. Well, outside of a centrifugal supercharger but those things just don't interest me that much. Maybe they'll become more interesting as I poke around learning stuff...

I've also got a Megasquirt controller and a whole TBI system that I've never tried yet but I would plan on installing it and learning all about it. After getting comfortable with that, I'd want to change it over to direct port injection, add a crank trigger and coil packs etc and cut the distributor off leaving only enough to drive the oil pump. At that point, with a proven ignition and EFI system, Probably take me a couple years of incremental upgrades and tweaks until I would be ready to install the supercharged 390 in place of the NA engine that's in there now.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
1 word..... turbo(s)

·
Registered
977 Posts
X2..... The lines on your rig aren't accentuated by a teardrop... It messes up the flow.
Thank Ya'll for the compliments..
Now if my coworker and the other guy I traded for the 460/C6 aint LAIRS ,I should be able to build a kick as* power plant. I just keeping the frame, rearend and motor/tranny from the 63 Merc. convert.

·
Registered
830 Posts
If you can't go old school satin 6 71 go with a centrifical setup and a blow thru carb.

Look at a vortech s trim, reliable little bugger.

Definatly will fit underhood.

·
Registered
5,337 Posts
Ahhh com'on now Kultz, the only difference is the stroke, so more than your list will swap.

cranks
He already has a 460 base engine...

cams, etc...
The cam(s) are old tech (and used)...

Give the whole story. The cj/scj blocks were different as they all were 4 bolt blocks, and the 460's werent. (well MOST of them were 4 bolt, think some of the very early 70 models were 2 bolt mains)....
The block on the used engine is cracked. I would save the main caps if it is indeed a 4-bolt main.

A quick google search should help the OP.
Yes it will. I am not quite sure you read the OP. Maybe re-read and try not moving your lips this time.

·
Premium Member
3,340 Posts
KenneBell has a few large displacement water cooled blowers, they'll fit under a stock late model mustang hood...not cheap, but the best never is :)

I looked at the megasquirt setup a few years ago, careful searching that one, the dot com and dot net go in shockingly different directions:) that setup though looked pretty tune able, but my 'dream' would be to pull the whole harness/ECM/etc from a new mustang, and put it on a big block...drive by wire throttle and all(the knock sensors back off timing and throttle as needed- bad as it sounds, they are getting insane power out of relatively tiny engines). I don't think room would be a problem for the cam advance mechanism to be fabbed, just might need a custom water pump...that computer wouldn't know if it was feeding 281 or 429 cubes, just needs the sensors capable of higher flows... Larger injectors/ fuel pump/ throttle body would need tuned for, fabbing a intake might be fun, possibly even adapt the 'charge motion' butterflies near the injectors to maintain bottom end efficiency. The crank trigger is a extremely specialized, precise piece, but the factory self tuning setup can self calibrate for manufacturing errors. i messed up my map once, decelerating above 45 for the first time after unhooking the battery, it killed the car because i pushed the clutch and it learned a bad map...took some reading to find out wtf, but this stuff is pretty darn neat.
The new 5.0 runs 11:1 on 87 octane at like 350 HP, auto detects octane by monitoring knock sensors which it always tries to keep close to no matter temp/ humidity/altitude/fuel, so by running 91 you get over 400 HP automatically...neat tricks, not possible with much else...factory set ups are built to be cheap, BUT also to meet emissions, give peak performance and mileage, all while protecting the engine while under 5 yr warranty - tough bill to fill, but it does. Also there are tons of custom tuners out there very familiar with the mustang setup/ custom blower tunes are easily found...Edelbrock has a 5 psi blower for the 11:1 5.0 ? The new engine controls offer insane benefits over anything anyone woulda thought possible a decade or three ago...

Just food for thought - why reinvent the wheel, when you can just change the bolt pattern a little :)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts