Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
10,541 Posts
Many of us have done many similar projects. To answer your question with any value and without chasing squirrels, we would need to know the context. What are your concerns or issues? Also add some about the foundational purpose and goals of the build, and what fuel you intend to use. (y)

· Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a1970 Cougar XR7 that someone started doing a really nice restomod but I think what happened was they had the Cleveland completely rebuilt but did not Know about the trick thermostat and could not stop it from running hot because when I got it it had a new monster radiator and serpentine belt set ect. I put the right thermostat in it and it runs perfect. Anyway I have a great car but it’s a 4V Cleveland and I would like to have a better power band I don’t know if I can run a supercharger and keep my ac ect.
That is my long winded story.

· Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also I have been working with boosted engines for years from Corvair Spyder to Cadillac CTSV so I have played with boost control and water meth injection so if I can put one on this engine I will make it work. It is just g to be a fun driver no competition is planned.

· Registered
204 Posts
I have a1970 Cougar XR7 that someone started doing a really nice restomod but I think what happened was they had the Cleveland completely rebuilt but did not Know about the trick thermostat and could not stop it from running hot because when I got it it had a new monster radiator and serpentine belt set ect. I put the right thermostat in it and it runs perfect. Anyway I have a great car but it’s a 4V Cleveland and I would like to have a better power band I don’t know if I can run a supercharger and keep my ac ect.
That is my long winded story.
What is this "right thermostat" to keep it from running hot

· Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You have to find the one that Is made for the Cleveland it has a pad on the bottom that stops up the bypass hole under the thermostat that hole is a bypass that sends the water thru the heads and not the radiator when the engine is cold if it is not blocked when hot the water still doesn’t go to the radiator and the engine overheats those thermostats are advertised for Clevelands

· Registered
54 Posts
This shows it pretty well, plus the part number. Very specific to the Cleveland, but the box mine came in also referenced an International Harvester application ! They used to be commonly found at NAPA, but lately they have been replaced with a generic version that doesn't work the same. I found mine on ebay.
Yellow Rectangle Line Triangle Parallel

· Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You got it if you don’t use that thermostat or if the brass washer that goes under some of the Clevelands they will overheat and rpm makes it worse. My information said that there was or is a brass or copper washer with a hole in it that matches the thermostat he said that the washer gets destroyed by having a block cleaned so a person builds their new motor and it overheats they try everything they can think of but nothing works so like my Cougar they give up and sell it.
I really made out on mine it has a engine that checked out to be just built a XR7 body that was taken to bare metal and a new paint job all the stuff to make a Ellimator tribute with upgrades new custom interior not stock but very expensive leather headliner ect hi end radio plus 4 wheel disks which I am changing the rear end because they used a 8 inch housing so I am putting a complete 9 inch disk to disk also they changed transmission to a AOD with overdrive which let me use a 3.70 gear. Know anybody who wants a complete 8 inch with disks that I think is a 3.55
I also have from another project a pair of complete 67 68 shock towers both pieces of both brand new in the boxes.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts