Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone come up with a smart way to support the car frame in an enclosed car hauler (with limited access to frame in trailer wheel area) in order to keep the car from bouncing inside the trailer and working the bee jeez us out of shocks/leaf springs/coil springs?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I haven't seen anything... but honestly, considering you have the trailer's suspension between the car and the road, I'm sure that riding in the trailer is much easier on the car's parts than driving on the road itself! Think about when the trailer hits a bump, the trailer's wheels (and the car, if it were on the road) bounce over the bump very quickly/violently, whereas the car inside the trailer feels a much slower, more gentle bump. If you're concerned about your trailer being too bouncy, buy some cheap shocks and throw them on it, should help with the constant bouncy-bouncy that most trailers have.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Its a bad thing to keep your car strapped down by its frame. Its much harder on the car that way. Motorhead makes a valid and useful point.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, here's Paul Harvey's the rest of the story...

I typically boom my car inside the trailer by the rear end in the back and attach to the frame in the front. I don't have any hooks on the frame in the back so the rear end is the most convenient place to grab on. What happens when the trailer pitches is it causes the suspension of the race car to work. The enclosed trailer has indep. torsion suspension, but you'll still get pitching on rough roads. I went on a long haul over some pretty lumpy Interstate highways in OK. and the result from the bouncing car inside the trailer was that the shocks bottomed out and on one side broke off the mounting ear for the shock. It also caused the leaf springs to S in front of the rear end.

My understanding of the best way to haul a race car is to buck up the frame, then boom down by the frame so the car suspension never comes into play. Makes it last longer. I plan on adding hooks on the frame to tie onto with straps in the back, but I curious if anyone figured out a good way to buck the frame against the floor of the trailer that would be easy to apply and remove.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
The BEST way is to chock the frame and secure it that way.... No suspension movements at all if done properly.

FE

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
On 2006-08-16 13:14, wildosvt01 wrote:
Its a bad thing to keep your car strapped down by its frame. Its much harder on the car that way. Motorhead makes a valid and useful point.
I'm with Wil. Unless I'm hauling a junker to the crusher or bringing a street car a few miles home, I NEVER bind down the suspension when hauling a car any distance! This is why they invented AXLE STRAPS. On a circle track car, you can adjust your wheel weights, toe-out and other chassis stuff at the shop, bind the car solid to the trailer, haul it to the track and everything will be changed. I can't imagine that binding one solid would do a drag car's suspension any good either. The slight amount of motion of a car's suspension while being trailered isn't going to wear any components out.

Jan

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
with the utmost repect intended, I'm not talking about crushing in a compressed state, instead making it immovable at ride height or there abouts.

P.S. Have you hauled anything down the Indian Nations Turnpike lately?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 63SportsCoupe on 8/21/06 9:55am ]</font>

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Chock the friggin frame and strap it down an inch or so and be done with it!....

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Well maybe mesure your ride height ... Frame to floor.. make some blocks .... slip them under the frame then strap the car down the car well only squait enought to make the frame come in contact with the blocks and if its down tight enough it aint going to move..
tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts