Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently picked up some new 460 parts for very cheap, they were rebuilt years ago and it looks like they sat in an unheated shop and gathered a little surface rust.

On the heads (d3's) the rust came off and, though the surface is perfectly smooth some of the surface rust discolored the metal below it. Is this an issue?

I had the same issue on the big ends of the connecting rods, they cleaned up perfectly smooth but you can see staining? where the rust used to be. will this be an issue?

Also I noticed a few of the new (in the box) clevlte 77 bearings have some spots of surface rust on the sides and back of the bearings (rod bearings) and I also noted some odd spots on the face as well that were slightly raised. I tried scratching at them with my fingernail and they seem to become smooth again but I wonder if I am hurting the bearing doing this, or if they are worth the effort.

I also noted some of the same type of rust on the lifters as well (cleans off but leaves staining).

I also noticed that the oil pump does not rotate by hand. the outside of the pump has no rust on it. it is a standard volume pump.

·
Premium Member
34,853 Posts
I recently picked up some new 460 parts for very cheap, they were rebuilt years ago and it looks like they sat in an unheated shop and gathered a little surface rust.
Sometimes it's not as bad as it seems
On the heads (d3's) the rust came off and, though the surface is perfectly smooth some of the surface rust discolored the metal below it. Is this an issue?
No this really is not a problem
I had the same issue on the big ends of the connecting rods, they cleaned up perfectly smooth but you can see staining? where the rust used to be. will this be an issue?
This will Not be a problem
Also I noticed a few of the new (in the box) clevlte 77 bearings have some spots of surface rust on the sides and back of the bearings (rod bearings)
THIS is a HUGE problem THE bearings are a lead tin alloy and they do not rust. Trash any bearings that aren't nice and silver and nu-blemished
and I also noted some odd spots on the face as well that were slightly raised.
raised spots is odd an a bearing. dump them.
I tried scratching at them with my fingernail and they seem to become smooth again but I wonder if I am hurting the bearing doing this, or if they are worth the effort.
do not take the chance when you can get more for $40 bucks or so..
I also noted some of the same type of rust on the lifters as well (cleans off but leaves staining).
Lifters with a tiny bit of surface rust are absolutely fine.
I also noticed that the oil pump does not rotate by hand. the outside of the pump has no rust on it. it is a standard volume pump.
Probably has crap in it. Take the cover off and look. Should be 4 bolts...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts