Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning to replace the very old and tired rear leaf springs on my 65 Mustang.

I spoke with a fellow from the local automotive spring shop today about replacement leaf springs and was surprised with his response. He said don't change them. He said that the "new" steel in the replacement springs will be so much stiffer than my old ones that it will definitely hurt my 60' times.

I asked "what if we start with a soft spring, and then add an extra half leaf in the front half to help with spring wrap-up". He said I would be better to keep using the original springs and lengthen the Lakewood slapper bars a few inches so that they contact the leaf directly under the spring eye.

Problem is that these leafs are real old and the car actually sits slightly lower 1/2" on one side, so I think it's time for a new set.

Love to hear some opinions on this. Has anyone changed to new springs and found 60' times increased?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I changed to new springs and for sure my 60's were better. I had a massive wheel hop problem before, almost none after. Also, I had the 1 side sag you have, gone with new springs. I went with 5 leaf springs, If I was to do it again, and I was focused on a good launch, I would probably go to 4 leaf springs.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I have reverse eye 5 leafs with underride bars and it hooks pretty good... best 1.68 60-foot.

·
Registered
502 Posts
he is right about putting the traction bar snubber under the front spring eye. thats where it works best. so if you get new springs & put the snubber under the eye so it hits harder, it might end up about the same

·
Registered
398 Posts
A new spring will make a much improved differnce over a worn set of stock springs. even a good slapper bar or even a caltrac bar wont prevent a worn stock spring from wrapping up. I motice a major differnce in ride, handling and launching quality goining from an old five leaf to a new mono leaf.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
what shocks are you using?.............are you on a budget .............street&stripp or strip only ?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
quickshift
- I will be swapping out the KYB's for either Rancho or QA-1 adjustables. The QA's are expensive, so I am leaning toward the Ranchos.
- Mostly steet, but want to get some decent 60' times at the strip. I don't want to destroy the handeling for day to day driving
- Budget: I was considering the fiberglass monoleafs, too expensive, I don't mind spending about $200

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
My springs are the stock 39 year old originals. I had them cleaned and new silencer pads put in about 12 years ago.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I replaced mine with ESPO rear 3 leaf springs and added an overload leaf. It is adjustable, which alows me to change ride height, and the ride is real good for having an overload spring.
Summit calls them a "Sway control spring". It's 1/2 of a mono leaf that bolts above the spring and is almost invisible. It eliminated my wheel hop completely.
I'm using cheap but new hydraulic shocks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts