Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would it take to convert a 6-cyl, 4-lug suspension on a 66 mustang coupe to make it stronger for a v-8 swap?
I heard somewhere that the 4 lug suspension is weaker. Is this true? Please fill me in on the details.

Thanks,

J

·
Premium Member
158 Posts
All that you need is spindles and springs. You can get the springs anywhere, and the spindles you might as well convert to disk brakes with a granada swap or stainless steel brake kit. Both are around $800. If you really want I have a set of drum spindles complete with brakes, it would just cost alot to ship, like around 75 dollars.
Good Luck

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
they aren't any weaker than the others for the most part, just harder to fond wheels for them and then if you change rears, looks funky with 4 lug in front and 5 lug in back.

·
Registered
237 Posts
im in the process of doing that right now on my 65. it has a 200 6. I converted it to auto and swaped in a 8" from a 289 65 mustang. i picked up a set of granda spindles/brakes from a pick ur part junkyard that looked like it recently had a brake job so im just gonna use them as is. I also picked up a new master front end suspension rebuild kit for a V8 car. You have to change out all that stuff. im pretty sure the ball joints for the 6 are smaller and will not fit the V8 spindle. this changed in 67 and up mustangs. also, the steering will have to be totally replaced, centerlink, tie rods, pitman arm and idler arm.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dave65FB on 4/10/02 2:26am ]</font>

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Don't forget to change out the puny rear axle setup, too. It'll last about a week with a healthy V8 turning it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts