Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've put in all this time and hard work with my Ranchero, got it running pretty well and everything working except for the AC which I took out. Now I'm on to getting the thing to stop leaning to one side! The previous owner totally botched a rebuild on the Cleveland that was in the car and just pulled it and left it to sit in the drivers side of the bed... Well it ended up sitting there for over a year and now the car leans towards the drivers side. I replaced the worn out rear springs with a set of progressive rate springs that I had in my Torino for a little while and that took a good deal of the lean out of the suspension but now I'm thinking that the shocks are shot and need to be replaced as well. I'm thinking perhaps a fairly decent set of off brand coil over shocks will fit the bill here but would like to get more feedback before I throw money at more parts.

I am also concerned about the front suspension as the nose sits a bit low in my opinion. I have a set of replacement 429 springs for a Torino that I bought a few years ago but never installed and was thinking of getting some new shocks for the front end as well and replacing both the springs and the shocks at the same time since I'll have everything apart anyhow.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hey Torkair
Shocks do not support weight and should not be used to level out the car. check out the bushings in the control arms and coils up front, if one side of the front end is sitting low it can raise the opposite side rear a little. overload shocks should not be used, the mounting points of the shock were not meant not be load bearing get a good quality gas charged shock and run the same shocks on all 4 corners, If I remember right you're running a 400 in the chero the 429 springs may make sit nose high but are worth a try.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts