Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i rebuilt my suspension a while back. i installed the negative wedge kit which lowers the control arm 1.75", which is 0.75" lower than shelby relocation with use of a wedge between the balljoint and control arm to keep it from binding. i then installed the stock springs with 1/3 of a coil cut off. i drove it like this for a while but it was too low and even though i had it aligned that way, the inner part of the tires was wearing and the top of the tires were leaning in. This weekend I put in a set of brand new stock height stock rate springs and it raised the car nearly 3 inches. What the hell is going on??? now the top of the tires lean outward. is this because the alignment is off. would 1/3 a coil plus them being 35 years old really make that much a difference? im afraid if i pay the money to have it realigned it will bring it down only an inch at most but it still looks like a 4x4, should i cut the coils some? what do you guys think?

·
Registered
442 Posts
On that car when you raise/lower the car you should get it re alinged. Definatly drive the car around the block a few times and let the springs settle. then see what height you have( it should drop almost an inch). if it is still to high measure the height and record it (Be sure to mark where the tires are on the ground so when you re measure you will be in the same spot). pull the spring out and cut 1/8 of a coil, re install drive it then re measure and continue until you get the desired ride height. be patient as to not cut to much at one time and end up to low. this prosess is a pain in the a%& with stock springs. if you can afford it the 620# are much easyr because you usually can get away with out compressing them just my 2 cents chris

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ya, i already drov it around, and it didnt make much difference. i thought it was gonna lower it back down, but it didnt. taking those springs out is not fun at all. i figure over time the springs will settle a little and drop a bit, but not enough. i think i will have to cut. are coils the same for 65-68 or are they different heights?

·
Registered
739 Posts
This weekend I put in a set of brand new stock height stock rate springs and it raised the car nearly 3 inches. What the hell is going on??? would 1/3 a coil plus them being 35 years old really make that much a difference?
Unless you owned the car since it was new, it is hard to guess that those original springs match the new springs you bought. Springs do sag over time, but 3" difference on a third of a coil diff seems like too much. Clearly the new coils need to be cut but with the variations in spring manufacturers and your car's 1.75" lowered upper a-arms, you really have a trial and error deal.
You are going to have to pull it apart either way, so when you do, stand the old and new springs side by side. If the free height is the same (save for the 1/3 cut coil) the new spring rate is obviously higher/stiffer, which would logically indicate it will take MORE than a 1/3 coil removal. If the free height of the new spring is longer, then the rate may be comparable, which means you will need to split the difference between the two free heights. Depending upon your courage, use the free height comparison to guide your first cut. Of course if you don't want to risk cutting too much, go a bit at a time. I would suggest more than 1/8 coil as with three inches of difference, you could be at it for a week.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i did stand the springs next to eachother before i installed them for a comparison of new and old. the old ones were about 1/2" or so lower, but this could be the 1/3 coil cut off. i will pull the springs and try some other used non cut springs i have to see what happens.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Are you possitive the new springs are the right ones? Maybe they were for a big block car. Just a thought. I find it hard to believe stock rate springs would raise the car this much versus 30yr old springs even with a 1/3 coil cut off.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I asked for the stock height stock rate springs when i ordered them from canadian mustang, so im assuming they are. i am supprised how much it raised the car. the fender lip is about 2" above the top of the tread, whereas before, it used to tuck a little. i will try the other springs i have.

·
Registered
627 Posts
You may want to take your caliper to the
springs and check the wire diameter. This
would have a major impact on the spring
rate and hence the ride height and be
easy to go un-noticed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts