Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rebuilt the front suspension on my 68 mustang a few monts ago and did a shelby arm drop at the same time. Now if I drive anywhere it sounds like something is horrendously loose and going to fall off. Ive checked all the bearings, ball joints, bolts, etc, but I cant find the culprit. I was planning to take it on a 2K mile trip this summer, but not if a suspension assembly falls of on I-80. Any ideas?

·
Registered
122 Posts
You can do the drop up to 1" with no ball joint bind. 3/4" is safer. As to the noise, I can't help. There are so many parts that could be the culprit. But, if you lowered the a-arm an inch or more, that could cause the problem. Don't drive the car till its fixed. It's dangerous to drive it that way.

BTW, I live in Auburn, so you could drop by on your way east.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also noticed that even if I VERY lightly thouch the brakes, the sound disappears, and even at a dead stop if I disengadge the brakes a "pop" sounds. I'll check to see if theres ball joint binding goin on. Thanks fo he tip.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
sounds like the upper ball joint. Thing to do is jack up the car so the suspension is loaded (i.e. jack under the lower control arm) Then take a long lever, like your jack handle, assuming you have a full size floor jack... use the handle under the tire to pry the wheel kind of up/down, you should be able to feel the play.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the tip on the ball joints. I'll check them tonight. Why would they be bad? I changed them 1500 miles ago. Is there anything that could make them wear prematurely? Like the shelby drop? I dropped them 1". I never heard of ball joint binding when I researched the drop. Anything else it could be?

·
Registered
63 Posts
For what it's worth, make sure the wheels are making a solid contact with the hub. I had a set of wheels that didn't quite fit the discs once and it sounded like the whole front end was loose. Funny thing is that the wheels bolted up fine, they just didn't mate well with the discs and loosened up quickly. Remember to always check the simple stuff first, then work your way up.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Im almost positve its the upper ball joints. You have to use whats called a negative wedge kit when lowering the upper control arms. This is because with the a arms closer together the spindle the a arm angle is much more aggressive and as the suspension is compress the ball joint eventually binds because it has reached its limits. A negative wedge kit put the upper ball joint at an angle instead of flat with the a arm. This prevents binding. Have Fun

Rich

1 - 9 of 9 Posts