Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm finally getting around to addressing my on-going suspension woes. Starting with the front end I'm looking into a 1" sway bar from Global West (Better price than the ADDCO's and come powdercoated!). I'm not sure what else I'll do up there because I've been told it's mostly in pretty good shape. I may do the polyurethane bushings on the front strut rods even though mine "look" good.

In the rear I'm thinking all new polyurethane bushings on the leafs and shackles. They are all shot.

When looking things over the other day I noticed that my leaf springs appear to be offset and not in perfect alignment. When I had my mini-tub done the guy had to offset them for whatever reason when he relocated the mounts, both front and rear. I haven't taken any real accurate measurements but the springs are roughly 2" center to center wider in the rear than the front. I measured roughly 37" front and 39" in the rear from the outside of the springs. Does somebody sell offset shackles that I can use to get this back into a more proper alignment or is this not that big of a deal?

Are there any other things I can do to tighten the car up some? It's not going to be running any road racing events or anything - it's just a street car that needs some suspension TLC.

John

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I may do the polyurethane bushings on the front strut rods even though mine "look" good.
You don't want to do poly bushings on the strut rod...they will tear the bracket from the frame. You need to use rubber bushings to soften the vibration.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
John,

I used the Crites spring relocation kit on my car, Installed per there instructions.

My measurements are roughly Front @ 40" and Rear @ 39".

Jet

·
Registered
809 Posts
When looking things over the other day I noticed that my leaf springs appear to be offset and not in perfect alignment. When I had my mini-tub done the guy had to offset them for whatever reason when he relocated the mounts, both front and rear. I haven't taken any real accurate measurements but the springs are roughly 2" center to center wider in the rear than the front. I measured roughly 37" front and 39" in the rear from the outside of the springs. Does somebody sell offset shackles that I can use to get this back into a more proper alignment or is this not that big of a deal?

John
Maybe something like this??
Mopar Performance P4120075 - Mopar Performance Offset Shackle Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I would think you would also need to move your spring perches in on axle housing, if you move the rear of the springs inward

Does the car ride/handle OK?

Were all the bushings good when you had the work done?

I don't know if it is big deal or not but after I read this at lunch I measured all the cars at my shop this afternoon, and they were all pretty much the same front and back.

Lou

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
John,

I used the Crites spring relocation kit on my car, Installed per there instructions.

My measurements are roughly Front @ 40" and Rear @ 39".

Jet
How much tire are you running with that kit? I noticed their advertisement says 6" more tire. Are they trying to say a 12" wide tire will fit if using their shackles alone?

I'm not a skeptic but............we had to do a ton of modifications like mini-tubbing, frame notching, fuel tank and spring relocating as well as building sub-frames to get a 12" wide tire under my car.

Mopar Performance P4120075 - Mopar Performance Offset Shackle Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com

I would think you would also need to move your spring perches in on axle housing, if you move the rear of the springs inward

I don't know if it is big deal or not but after I read this at lunch I measured all the cars at my shop this afternoon, and they were all pretty much the same front and back.

Lou
Lou,

Those are the ones I was looking at on the Summit website. It appears that they are .80" offset which would be almost perfect since mine is roughly 2" total. What I don't know is would they work on my Falcon? I have no idea if Mopar uses a wider shackle or whatever.

If they're a bit longer I'm okay with that since my car rides a little tail down without air in the shocks. If they were to bring it up I'd probably toss the air shocks and go with something else like Rancho 9000's.

I may have to loosten the shock mounts before trying to move the springs into alignment but I'm thinkin' they'd be okay.

John

·
Registered
809 Posts
Lou,

Those are the ones I was looking at on the Summit website. It appears that they are .80" offset which would be almost perfect since mine is roughly 2" total. What I don't know is would they work on my Falcon? I have no idea if Mopar uses a wider shackle or whatever.

If they're a bit longer I'm okay with that since my car rides a little tail down without air in the shocks. If they were to bring it up I'd probably toss the air shocks and go with something else like Rancho 9000's.

I may have to loosten the shock mounts before trying to move the springs into alignment but I'm thinkin' they'd be okay.

John
John,
They say they are for a 2.5" wide spring which if your falcon has the same width as my Comet they would work. Only thing that might not work are the bushings. If they have same size bolts then falcon bushings would work. Maybe call Summit and see if they could tell you the size of bolts?
I would think these would work for you and get you within a half inch.

When you move the springs and shock mounts in the centerbolt will also move in. Don't know how big the hole for center bolt is on your spring perches but mine fit tight. you may have to make hole bigger or move mount. I just put my rear springs and housing in my car. My mounts aren't welded yet and when I moved springs inward it also moved the perches inward a little.

Lou

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
My shock mounts haven't been modified from what I had already done when doing the 9-inch swap long before the mini-tub so they should go back into place once I back-off the U bolts and re-align the springs into a more parallel position. That is if I try the offset shackles. It seems like a pretty good fix to me.

The problem started when the guy was building the front and rear spring mounting points. The front spring mounting location is a cross-member between the frame rails with tabs welded to it. The rear mount is a couple of short sections of 2" x 2" box tubing parallel to the existing frame. It's location was restricted due to the fuel tank. Even moving the tank location slightly to center it kept the frames from going as far inboard as they needed to be.

All this concern may be for nothing if two inches difference is okay.

Lou
The car handles like an old Ford usually does. I notice it more so at freeway speeds and the one pass I made with the new engine was about as scarry as I'd care to have it. The car seemed to dance around a lot from mid track on. I'm now thinking it was the rear suspension binding up and letting go (if that make sense) or something rather than steering issues as I had originally thought it was.

John

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
The front is centered up with the frame rail.

I also did a little Mini tub, pushed tubs in even with the frame rails.
I've got 275's in it right now, I've got about 1/2" of clearance at the back of the tire and were the frame rail kicks out. I've got some 285's to try also.
I may notch the frame in that area later.

I think they mean 6" tatal, can't imagine 6" each side. There kit only moves it in 2.5 to 3" each side.

Jet

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The front is centered up with the frame rail.

I also did a little Mini tub, pushed tubs in even with the frame rails.
I've got 275's in it right now, I've got about 1/2" of clearance at the back of the tire and were the frame rail kicks out. I've got some 285's to try also.
I may notch the frame in that area later.

I think they mean 6" tatal, can't imagine 6" each side. There kit only moves it in 2.5 to 3" each side.

Jet
That's what I was thinking but they're already at least 6" wide from inner tub to body, right?

I've never heard of a 285 tire. I'm running 295/50-15's on a 15x10 wheel on mine but as I said it took lots of work. I had to use a 50 profile due to the limited diameter of the tubs themselves. A 26" tall tire is about as big as you can fit in the Falcon in any width or profile.

I'd really like to hear more feedback on the offset shackles. Maybe I'll post another thread with that as the title so more people will see it.

With that said, I do appreciate all the feedback on this!

John

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
I'm running 275/40r17 on 10.5" FR500 wheels on the rear right now. They are about 25" tall.

The 285/40zr17 are some Corvette takeoffs I picked up.

The offset shackles from Crites look a little odd to some people, I've read some negative comments from people who havn't used them. But I haven't had any issues so far.

Do you have any pictures of your current setup? Leaf attach points?

Jet

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here's one photo I had but I don't have one showing the front crossmember that was made to attach the leafs to. It tucks up nicely and has a loop over the driveshaft.

Here you can see where the rear spring shackle attaches to the added framework that is just inboard of the factory frame. That large hole is the original shackle mounting position.

I'll try and dig up some older photos taken during the minitub project where the crossmember is visible. Stay tuned! ;)

John

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
From that angle it appears that you may run into problems with your fuel cell if you use offset shackles.
You may need to move your front mounts outboard to correct the misalignment?

Or a smaller fuel cell.

Jet

·
Premium Member
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From that angle it appears that you may run into problems with your fuel cell if you use offset shackles.
You may need to move your front mounts outboard to correct the misalignment?

Or a smaller fuel cell.

Jet
It's just the angle, I've got a few inches in there.

John

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
I'm finally getting around to addressing my on-going suspension woes. Starting with the front end I'm looking into a 1" sway bar from Global West (Better price than the ADDCO's and come powdercoated!). I'm not sure what else I'll do up there because I've been told it's mostly in pretty good shape. I may do the polyurethane bushings on the front strut rods even though mine "look" good.

In the rear I'm thinking all new polyurethane bushings on the leafs and shackles. They are all shot.

Are there any other things I can do to tighten the car up some? It's not going to be running any road racing events or anything - it's just a street car that needs some suspension TLC.

John
Roller spring perches is going to be my next front end investment. Have nothing but positive about them.

·
Registered
381 Posts
John,
They say they are for a 2.5" wide spring which if your falcon has the same width as my Comet they would work. Only thing that might not work are the bushings. If they have same size bolts then falcon bushings would work. Maybe call Summit and see if they could tell you the size of bolts?
I would think these would work for you and get you within a half inch.

Lou
If I read this correctly, all you need to do to use these is chuck the included bushings and use the Falcon bushings and hardware. Its just two strips of steel that push the mounting hole away from the frame.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts