Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New to the site / first post. I am the owner of a 68 torino 351c - auto trans, and am looking to improve it's handling and was looking for feedback.

So far I have ordered a borgeson power steering conversion kit, and roller spring perches. Good/ bad?

I also purchased a laser cut shelby drop template for a 68 mustang as I would like to do a 1" shelby drop. Will this template work?

I have read about others who have performed this modification and am aware that the tapering of the shock towers causes clearence issues and have puchased the moog Part # K8233 shaft kit(s). That solves the problem right?

I will be getting athe full suspension kit from laurel mountain. Good/Bad?

Was wondering what people thought about front spring rates? the car will be mostly street driven.

Was thinking of using 1" lowering blocks out back and cutting coils up front to get a lower even stance. Any thought?

sorry to trouble everybody with all of this but would like to avoid "rookie" mistakes.

Thank you

·
Registered
734 Posts
NICE! spareing no expence :)

ive got some old school cheap tricks but if u got the money go all out with the kits lol

good luck

·
Registered
718 Posts
on my 68 t i lowered the uca's. put a 1" sway bar on the front. had custom coils with a rate of 650 lb.in. made and they are firm. i got the urathane bushing spring seats. i'm gonna do the borgeson steering box. i have a windsor engine. note>do not go larger then 1" on the front sway bar with a small block. the 1-1/8" bar is for big blocks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, I am trying to keep costs down. My factory power steering is shot and leaks very bad, I did not want to put a the money into repairing it just to be left with the poor characteristics of the original.

The shelby drop seemed like a no brainer as it is extremely cheap and everything Will be apart anyway.

Lastly my suspension has seen no love since 68 and rides so bad it scares me.

and, Thanks for the tip on the spring rate and sway bar size.

·
Registered
734 Posts
well i just went manual steering. i found some manual steering linkage. LOVE it yo! ive always liked manual steering. zero play insteering. thats just me i guess. also i didnt like my other option. replacing it all. $200 for controle valve, $200 for the ram, and $100 for the pump. :frown:

$50 manual linkage and arm. got lucky i guess, i just used my original tie rods so i didnt have to get an alignment. lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its in the shop now. They quoted me no more than 600 for the install. I Will find out when its done if it was worth it.

Side note, new rims came in missing 3 center caps. Grrr! But it should solve a tire rubbing issue I'm having. I'm slowly getting closer to making the death trap safer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry but I have some more questions about the front springs.
I have decided to piece my suspension together instead of going with a kit. For the front I have a set of Scott Drake upper control arms, roller perched and jun gas-a-just shocks, I will be doing a 1" shelby drop. My questyion is this, I was thinking of using a 620 grab a track front spring, Will this lower the car to much?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.