Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '66 fastback and I am replacing the control arms and bushings in my front suspension but I can't seem to find the torque specs for the front suspension pieces. Does anyone know them or know where I can find them? Also, does anyone know where I can get the template for the shelby upper control drop? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I have a 67 Shop manual so I'd imagine the specs are pretty much the same. Control arm shaft to body is 75-100 ft-lbs

spring perch to upper arm is 17-25

Lower arm to body is 75-100

Ball joints to spindle is 60-90 ( then adjust for castellate nut)

Strut rod to Lower arm 55-170
HTH Stu

·
Registered
743 Posts
I have the Mustang Restoration Handbook and it gives different torque specs for some of these

spring perch to upper arm - 30-40

ball joint to spindle - 30 +/-5

Strut rod to Lower arm - 5 - 11

·
Registered
743 Posts
I thought so too.
Was just sharing what was in this book. I personally put them on tighter than that when i was rebuilding mine.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
For sure, BTW I wasn't questioning you, just that book!!! The strut rod nuts are locking type if that makes a difference. I just put my front end back in this summer. I didn't even use a torque wrench. I sorta know how tight this stuff should be! (TIGHT!) I will however torque the lower arm pivot bolts to spec when I get it lined up. The wheels look a bit drunk at the moment! Stu

·
Registered
743 Posts
Oh yea, I know you werent questioning me. I didnt write the book, LoL

I kinda go along the same lines w hen I put mine back together. TIGHT!
But again, like you said, I followed the torque specs for pivot points and joints.

Mine is currently up on jackstands, missing the entire rearend.

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
I didn't. Some have cotter pins obviously, others have locking nuts or lock washers. You could if you feel the need, it wouldn't hurt. Stu

·
Registered
743 Posts
After time they become a real pain to get off. I dunno if loctite would help the situation out when replacing in the future. Like he said though, couldnt hurt, might just be that much more of a bear down the road.

Most of the bolts are castle nuts and have a cotter pin. Very few on the front dont.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts