Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, It's time to get to the track, and a lot of us are going to be chasing chassis demons, so let's share some info and practical experience...

I'll start us off with the following...

Standing at the front bumper looking at the car, the engine turns clockwise, which twists the driveshaft clockwise. This twist tries to rotate the rear axle clockwise... planting the driver's side tire in the pavement. (this is why the right rear wheel spins on a single trac rear, it has less load on it)

Now, as the engine spins the driveshaft clockwise, it reacts by twisting counter clockwise in the engine mounts, which rotates the body counterclockwise... lifting the driver's side front wheel. If the car is fairly stiff, the rear of the car will rotate a little as well.

But, do NOT confuse this body rotation with load transfer. This does NOT push the right rear tire into the ground. The spinning driveshaft drives the left tire in the ground, giving it the most traction. The twisting body is just a reaction to this torque. To give both wheels equal load (and traction) we need to find a way to put extra load on the right rear.

Cars with coil springs can benefit from an airbag in the right rear spring. The bag is inflated to put more of a load on that wheel. Adjustable suspensions (caltracs, ladder bars, 4-links, etc) can put extra 'preload' on the right rear in an effort to equalize traction.

Buy the book "Doorslammers" by Dave Morgan. It's a VERY good book that describes the hows and whys of different suspensions, and how to set each type up. It includes scaling the car, and all sorts of stuff... a definite MUST READ.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
521 Posts
woudl that book tell me alot about 4links and ladder bars??? i would really like to put one on my 74maverick 4door, but i have absolutely NOOOO clue how they work... i've tried looking and figuring it out but i dont get it

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I used that very same book and still refer to it now and then. A friend and i four linked our cars with the help of that book. One was my 60 falcon the other was a 76 maverick. The book is full of very good information.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts