Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I want to upgrade my suspension for my 72 Ranchero. What do you guys suggest?

I'd like to lower the front a good 4" to give it that muscle car look, because it seems like its just way too high up front.

Also, i loaded some laminate floors in the bed, i would estimate it was less than 900lbs, and it dropped way too low IMO. It practically scraped at every bump in the road and going through driveways and alleyways.

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Well, 900 lbs is close to a half ton, where they not rated at a quarter ton? Helper springs in the rear will help. Four inches in the front seems quite a lot.

·
Registered
734 Posts
did you just get the car?
are the coil springs new(ish) looking?
is the engine you have now original to the car?

up front i bet someone installed some coil springs that were for a bigger engine, or some generic coils that arnt made specifically for your engine.

my fathers car was originally a 390 back in the day. but when he got it, it had a 289 so the front end sits real high.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, 900 lbs is close to a half ton, where they not rated at a quarter ton? Helper springs in the rear will help. Four inches in the front seems quite a lot.
I honestly don't know what they were rated at. 4" does seem like a lot, but the front is pretty high.

I will look into helper springs, thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
did you just get the car?
are the coil springs new(ish) looking?
is the engine you have now original to the car?

up front i bet someone installed some coil springs that were for a bigger engine, or some generic coils that arnt made specifically for your engine.

my fathers car was originally a 390 back in the day. but when he got it, it had a 289 so the front end sits real high.
I had the Ranchero for about a year now, the springs dont look newish. The engine is 351C, not sure if its the original or not, but its a Ranchero 500, I'm not sure if the 500's came with bigger engines, but i think the GT's did.

·
Premium Member
3,637 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh sorry, I was thinking of an Air Ride suspension, not just air shocks. I'll look into the air shocks you linked to.

Thanks for the suggestion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts