Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents are giving me there 66 coupe this summer, a very cool deal for me i do beleive.

problem is the suspension has never been worked on and after 36 years it is shot, the leaf springs look like there installed upside down, and the front squeaks, suprizingly the front springs stil seem to be good.

I figure that since i need to re-do the suspension anyway might as well put in disk brakes while im down there (the drums just suck) Here's the problem i have come aross however, its a 200 straight 6. I dont have the cash right now to change the engine besides it in good conditions and gets better milage than a 289 or 302 will.

so my question is, what do i do? should i change to a 5 lug? are there parts/kits avilabe for a 4 lug setup? i am looking to spend as little money as possible doing this so any suggestions would be great

·
Registered
91 Posts
switch to 5 lug on the front and you can get really cheap disk brakes on it. some as cheap as 300. wilwood sells there setup for around 600. also a cheap 5.0 behind an aod can get way better gas mileage then those 6's. save up money...do it all at once. youll be glad in the long run...that and its harder to do it twice. Good Luck, Ryan

·
Registered
237 Posts
go to a 5 lug setup. i am doing that on my 65 with a 6 right now. i had a spare 65 8" sitting around and i threw that right in. do you have a stick or auto? i went threw alot of probs with ford and thier 6 cyls but yours shouldnt be as bad because you have a 66 so you have the later 6cyl. mine had a stick with a tiny tiny driveshaft. now it has an auto c4 and im using a V8 C4 driveshaft for the 65/66 mustang which mates right to the C4 and 8 inch rear. you will have to probably get a V8 driveshaft anyway b/c of the rear change unless the 66 6 cyl rearend uses the same u joint. for the front, go with a granda (75-80) disc brake setup and order a suspension rebuild kit for a V8 66 mustang. might as well do it now since all of that stuff needs to be replaced. dont replace it with 6cyl stuff cause if you change to a V8 later youll be sorry. Here is a breakdown of what i needed:
1. 65/66 8" rearend or you can use a 75-80 granada rearend 8" preferable, it will bolt right up and is only slightly wider(make sure to get the one with the removable center not the plate that bolts to the back even though that one will probably work but isnt as strong)
2. 65/66 V8 driveshaft. if you have a auto, then you need one from a V8/c4 equipped car. if you have a stick, then you will have to check around and find out what type of tranny and yoke you currently have. at some point after 65 ford started using V8 stick trannies with the 6cyls.
3. V8 spindles. you can use 65-68 spindles if you dont care about having drums, but if you want disc, then use 68-73 mustang disc brake spindle setup or 75-80 granada. the granada ones are more readily available. the granada ones are probably a better choice.
4. a complete front end suspension rebuild kit. make sure to get the complete one with new complete upper control arms, not just the kit to rebuild your uppers since the 6cyl ones are different. you can use your stock 6 cyl springs until you switch to a V8.
5. All new steering. youll need a new pitman arm, idler arm, center link, inner and outer tie rods and sleeves. if your going with a disc brake setup like the granada, then youll need granada outer tie rods and tie rod sleeves. email me if you have any questions.
by the way, ford granadas and mercury monarchs are the same, just stay away from the lincoln versaille.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: dave65FB on 4/29/02 1:28pm ]</font>

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thats great, exactly what i needed to know thanks, it is a c4 auto in there right now (though in the future i want to put in a T5, probably at same time a V8 goes in)

Thanks for the help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts