Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Did have one I built up. Sold when I got bored with it. Anyway, there are sveral sites that might help. Look under Yahoo. Also try Esslingerracing.com and merkurencyclopedia.com These have some really bad ass cars and some cheap tips and ideas to get more power out of your lil 2.3 .
What year is it? If 85 1/2 or later it has adjustable waste gate. You can adjust it till you get the buzzer on the turbo overboost, then back off 1 turn at a time til you get max boost and no buzzer. Also, get an intercooler from a volvo turbo and place in front of radiator. and hook up. The throttle body cable will need a lil mod to turn it to meet the intercooler outlet pipe. This is a cheap setup without goin into engine. You can also get a K&N Cold air kit for this car. Get it! I would also suggest if you have the money get a superchip or Pwoerprogrammer. They really wake it up. My last suggestion if laws in your area allow it, is to remove the restrictive cat and install at least a 3 in down pipe off turbo and split into duals. This is alot of bang for the buck! You will be looking at approx 255-260 hp at rear wheels with just these bolt ons. If you wanna get into engine, replace the head with Esslinger or Ford motorsport Dport head with oversize valves and roller cam. This should put u at 300 or so. The last thing I did before I sold car was install Ford Motorsport Lightened Flywheel. Idled a little rough, but really ripped on takeoff. Just think, small block power without the weight. These cars really handle well also. I used mine for road racing/autocross. It really had it over the heavier 5.0 crowd. One last thing, if it is an early '84, get rid of the 7.5 traction loc rear. It will blow apart with the extra horses and torque, especially if u get good traction. Upgrade to 8.8 with the quad shock setup. handles better and can take the extra beating at the strip.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got an 88 Turbocoupe with the 2.3 turbo. It has the intercooler stock. I'm curious...how do you go about adjusting the wastegate? I didn't know you could do that, I thought you had to get an adjustable boost valve to pump up the boost for these cars. I'd like to pump up the boost from 10 to about 15. I've done the exhaust mods, but that is about it. Must say I do like it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well I changed the cam and flywheel at same time so it may have been cam change, but it did rumble the car a little more. Nothing bad but, noticeable. If you have the time to adjust the waste gate, go underneath car to do it. It is easily accesible. Just hold the retaining nut with one wrench and turn shaft with other. It is a worth while endeavor to do this if a bigger/better turbo is too hard on finances. I did upgrade my '84 to a better turbo, first I used the '86 turbo. It is watercooled and has adjustable waste gate. I later went to a Garrett T3/T4 hybrid. WOW! The stock intercooler is way small for the engine. The volvo intercooler is bigger and flows more air, plus the cross sectional area aids in cooling the air better when the boost starts getting up there. Cheap hp! I used high pressure radiator hose and turned the throttle body to face fwd in the car so the ducting would line up with the least amount of turns and bends. The cold air intake kit is a real eye opener as well. I ducted the intake hose to the lower front grill next to the running lights so it had a little bit of ramair effect. You can make your own ramair/coldair kit by getting some intake ducting from the local auto parts store and getting a K&N conical filter. You can find them on ebay for a steal. Place it in the front where the grill is and run ducting up to vane air meter. This gets rid of the restrictive air filter setup. Very good cheap hp. If u feel really energetic, you could get electric water pump and run the water lines from turbo to a seperate radiator type device like a tranny cooler or something similar. I don't think there would be much hp increase, but the life of the turbo is ensured.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts