Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Swap 8.8 rear axle for 9 inch! 9” Brakes to use? What about stock 5.0 mustang brakes?

I want to swap my Fox Mustang\'s 8.8 rear axle for 9 inch!
-=-=-=- -=-=-=- -=-=-=-
HOW to swap to 9 inch?
What do I need to know??
What Brakes could be used? What about stock 5.0 mustang brakes?
-=-=-=- -=-=-=- -=-=-=-
Could I retain the stock brakes, what about the backing plates? I know that the 8.8 axle uses c clips, while 9” bearings are pressed onto axles after a mounting plates
-=-=-=- -=-=-=- -=-=-=-
My 1987 chp mustang is torn up, used and abused for long periods of time...
I need to change out the worn 8.8 anyways, and I’ve already got two third members for a 9”:
1)28 spline \'war\' case (a gift- what diff?? needs rebuild??)
2)I’ve got a 9\" in my \'67 mustang with 28 spline Detroit locker and 3:89 gears.
Since I want to store the \'67… for now, it would naturally go into the my 1987 5.0, t-5, chp Mustang
..for now...
(ahh the beauty of being to change out the center sections! )
Currie has a kit using 31 spline axles: 9” housing, suspension mounting points for Fox chassis (third member not included) need 28 spine, because of my existing hardware & dont need any more strength.
I think that Strange has a kit also.
-=-=-=- -=-=-=- -=-=-=-
Since it will be cut to fit, couldn\'t I shorten the overall length of my new axle assembly? Is there no room; not even 1/2in per side?
THANKS!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 67fastback on 8/13/05 11:16am ]</font>

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Swap 8.8 rear axle for 9 inch! 9” Brakes to use? What about stock 5.0 mustang brakes?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 67fastback on 8/12/05 9:37pm ]</font>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts