Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to buy a victor jr. intake for my '82GT, which currently has a stealth intake. My setup is in my signature below. Do you think it would be a wise choice to swap or should I keep the intake I have. I know my heads are the weak link in my setup but would this swap help or hurt performance?

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would you care to elaborate on that some more? What is your reaon for that answer? I would like to weigh some facts so I know what to do. Just saying yes or no really doesn't help me.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
I have a chance to buy a victor jr. intake for my '82GT, which currently has a stealth intake. My setup is in my signature below. Do you think it would be a wise choice to swap or should I keep the intake I have. I know my heads are the weak link in my setup but would this swap help or hurt performance?
What did you ask for ?

forgot to address the second question ... hurt

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NO...I'm just looking for a person with a little bit more knowledge than you to give me detailed facts as to why I should keep it or swap it. If your're not going to help please let someone else help out. I'm asking nicely...

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
I don't think it'd hurt performance much, but it won't do any better either. Why you ask? Your 351 has a small camshaft. And stock iron heads that are cleaned up. Basically it still is wheezing...kind of like goingo to a beer drinking contest and trying to suck it through a stirring straw. By the time the RPM level is "up" enough take advantage of a victor jr, the camshaft is long since signed off and the heads will not support enough airflow to take full advantage of that intake.

Save the Jr for an aluminum headed stroker. That is where they shine-especially on 302's because the runners are shorter (MUCH shorter), but same principle on a 351.

The only way I think it would be a wise choice is if you could borrow the Jr, try it (remember to mess with jetting and timing too), if it picks it up a little good...then pay for it. But to spend $$$ and find out it's going to be a pig down low, speaking from experience it's not a nice feeling.

I personally like a victor jr, however, I've never had an engine that could not take advantage of it either. Never really ran a 351 on iron heads and a weeny cam. Always ran them on solid rollers, 13:1 (and more...) and aftermarket aluminum heads. 302 is a different story, but also a totally different engine too. Shorter runners....for a street 302 with less than 12:1 compression, 260 duration @ .050 solid, and less than 4000 RPM, a dual plane is a better choice. Beyond that, yes a jr will pick it up a little, but only once the revs get on up there.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
NO...I'm just looking for a person with a little bit more knowledge than you to give me detailed facts as to why I should keep it or swap it. If your're not going to help please let someone else help out. I'm asking nicely...
good luck looking .

yes buy it . you will go faster . with the Jr in the box less money in your pocket equals less weight ... that equals quicker

·
Premium Member
4,010 Posts
Sorry, but you won't find them on here. Keep the Stealth it's good.

·
Registered
744 Posts
DO IT!! I have a very similar set up, listed in my sig, and I just did the exact same swap. I picked up over 0.2 seconds in the quarter and 2 mph without any carb tuning whatsoever. I'm sure I can probably squeeze another tenth or so with a jet change.

I don't know what you want to do with the car, street/strip but I didn't notice any loss of power in the bottom end and it pulls a lot better in the top end.

I'd say go for it!

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
There was a guy on these forums a few years back that actually did this swap and had dyno results to back it up....Unfortunately I don't remember his name and can't seem to find the dyno page either(I saved the print out)..I don't remember his exact combo but in his case the vic jr was better....I guess it also depends on what you want out of the car..If the vic jr is better for you it won't likely show up till 4500+ rpm...If you don't spend much time up there it won't be worth the swap..

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DO IT!! I have a very similar set up, listed in my sig, and I just did the exact same swap. I picked up over 0.2 seconds in the quarter and 2 mph without any carb tuning whatsoever. I'm sure I can probably squeeze another tenth or so with a jet change.

I don't know what you want to do with the car, street/strip but I didn't notice any loss of power in the bottom end and it pulls a lot better in the top end.

I'd say go for it!
Going on the info mavman just gave me, I think the main reason you saw a difference was because you had aftermarket heard, but then again, no two engines are ever the same...

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
good luck looking .

yes buy it . you will go faster . with the Jr in the box less money in your pocket equals less weight ... that equals quicker

Wow Dan..I just looked at your post count and to think that people had to listen to your smart ass remarks over 4000 times!! I think they just keep you on here for the comic relief.

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
Going on the info mavman just gave me, I think the main reason you saw a difference was because you had aftermarket heard, but then again, no two engines are ever the same...
You never did answer the question about what you are doing with this car?.......If its drag only or mostly drag I would say give it a try.You can pick up vic jr intakes used pretty cheap and resell if it don't work out...If its a street car stick with the stealth..

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
now you get it , but you knew it from the start with your heads . they are the bottle neck .
5 speeds don't have a stall limit , moving up to an intake that the power range rpm is up , is'nt effected like a TQ/Conv.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
now you get it , but you knew it from the start with your heads . they are the bottle neck .
5 speeds don't have a stall limit , moving up to an intake that the power range rpm is up , is'nt effected like a TQ/Conv.

Yeah, i did know the heads were the weak link but I was kinda hoping that the mods I did to them at least made them a little bit better than stock and that they could use the better intake. They are pre-74 heads with 1.94/1.60 valves and a little bit of port work done. I know they still dont even come close to aftermarket heads. I just didn't know if they were "worthy" of an intake like the Vic. Jr. or not.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You never did answer the question about what you are doing with this car?.......If its drag only or mostly drag I would say give it a try.You can pick up vic jr intakes used pretty cheap and resell if it don't work out...If its a street car stick with the stealth..

I drive it a few time a year to the dragstrip about 20 miles away and maybe a few trips around town in the spring and summer only. The rest of the time it sets in the garage. I built this engine in back in '04-05 and I highly doubt it has 2000 miles on it yet...

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Yeah, i did know the heads were the weak link but I was kinda hoping that the mods I did to them at least made them a little bit better than stock and that they could use the better intake. They are pre-74 heads with 1.94/1.60 valves and a little bit of port work done. I know they still dont even come close to aftermarket heads. I just didn't know if they were "worthy" of an intake like the Vic. Jr. or not.
just read your post count .

1 or 2 post its ok to be a clown

you ever read other tech post ? if you did the info is there .

then they do keep around high post clowns with 7 years and 2k miles , still don't take the time to learn

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Wow Dan..I just looked at your post count and to think that people had to listen to your smart ass remarks over 4000 times!! I think they just keep you on here for the comic relief.
was going to let it slid till the 7 years and 2000 miles .

Not a new recent build , or a new dude

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
was going to let it slid till the 7 years and 2000 miles .

Not a new recent build , or a new dude
Yeah, let me break that down for you. That means I don't drive it very much, nor am I on here 24/7 looking for ways to make it quicker. Your wife has probably been used more and driven harder than my car.

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
Yeah, let me break that down for you. That means I don't drive it very much, nor am I on here 24/7 looking for ways to make it quicker. Your wife has probably been used more and driven harder than my car.
you got that right , rode hard by me , ask your wife how I drive . put a lot of miles on her.

forgot , you don't use , all the local guy's are

1 - 20 of 27 Posts