Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the chance to get a Mustang Cobra SVT (flood cars), years from 1996 to 2001.....I would like to make a dedicated road race car with one......What is invovled in putting in a stroker 5.0L where the 4.6L was????? One buddy told me the K members were the same and all it would take is a simple motor mount change, truth or fiction?????

It will be a carburated motor, so electronics do not enter the picture as well as a non-street legal race car, no interior,etc.,etc.....

I'm currently racing a 65 Mustang coupe in Vintage Road Racing and would like to do some late model Mustang stuff.......I have 2 vintage Mustangs, but do not know a lot about the late model (96 on) cars.....

Any advise/help would be greatly appreciated..........
Thanks;

David

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
K members are different, 4.6's sit lower.

BTW why not use the 32V 4.6?

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-06-18 17:57, 1 Bad 88 GT wrote:
K members are different, 4.6's sit lower.

BTW why not use the 32V 4.6?

I second that!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replys..........
I'm "old school" and like the old push rod motors and have a decent supply of early 302 and 351-W blocks and enough parts to build a couple of motors........and I know squat about the new modular motors and their electronics............. give me a motor with a Holly carb on it and I can tune it and make it run.........

I have driven a 95 GT track car and I do like the power rack and pinion steering as well as the power 4 wheel disc brakes......also the technology/parts are there to really set up a late model Mustang to make one fine road race car............

I do have a K member from a 95 Mustang Cobra at my disposal, will it bolt on/in a later model Mustang??????

David

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1965VR on 6/19/06 9:36am ]</font>

·
Registered
991 Posts
On 2006-06-18 18:33, 1965VR wrote:
Thanks for the replys..........
I'm "old school" and like the old push rod motors and have a decent supply of early 302 and 351-W blocks and enough parts to build a couple of motors........and I know squat about the new modular motors and their electronics............. give me a motor with a Holly carb on it and I can tune it and make it run.........

I have driven a 95 GT track car and I do like the power rack and pinion steering as well as the power 4 wheel disc brakes......also the technology/parts are there to really set up a late model Mustang to make one fine road race car............

I do have a K member from a 95 Mustang Cobra at my disposal, will it bolt on/in a later model Mustang??????

David

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 1965VR on 6/19/06 9:36am ]</font>
another vote for old school an holleys

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
If you still want a Holley on your modular V8, Edelbrock makes an intake manifold that will allow you to use one. I'm not sure if the they include the ignition control module like they do w/ their LS1 version but I imagine they would. Also, instead of a DOHC 4.6, have you consider a bored and/or stroked 4.6 (DOHC or SOHC) or even a 5.4?

·
Registered
304 Posts
that intake edelbrock offers, is for the 99up SOHC 4.6 motors....
however, Sullivan makes a single plane carb style intake manifold for the 99 up DOHC 4.6 motors....you can either put an elbow on it for use with fuel injection, or slap a carb on it....but u need to figure out how to run the ignition, ie. belt driven MSD of sorts etc....

·
Registered
304 Posts
and yes, the 5.0 K-member from the 94-95 GTs will bolt into 96up cars...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies............not really interested in the 4.6 motor, plan is to sell it and the trans and the interior of the car and put that money into the suspension and a 331 cu.in. or 351-W motor for the race car.......all the computer controlled stuff and fuel injection and stock fuel tank will be removed and replaced with a fuel cell and a simple wire harness.........

Thanks again;

David

1 - 9 of 9 Posts