Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if there is a difference in this between a 289 car and a 390? Local junkyard has a few cars that are real buried and I don't want to get to deep into it unless I am sure that it will fit.
It is the triangular piece that bolts onto the frame that the sway bar mounts onto that I need. Broke one of mine.
Thanks!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: psivory on 10/21/06 8:43am ]</font>

·
Registered
303 Posts
what year is your car?. i have a 66 or 67 352 jacked up out back and will take a look if you want. sounds as though the "buried" ones you looking at may be rotted out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sgettin on 10/21/06 9:11am ]</font>

·
Registered
303 Posts
no plm.

the car has experienced some damage and an engine fire. hopefully there is still something to atleast take a look at.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Oh dear!

I'd bet they are all the same.

·
Registered
303 Posts
went out and looked. sorry psavoy but mine is a 66.

if it's any consolation your stabilizer looks repairable if you have a wire welder.

in any event good luck and again sorry i couldn't help.

scott

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: sgettin on 10/22/06 4:44am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No prob, and thanks for lookin!!!! Not really a big problem, the new swaybar came with a flat plate that eliminates the need for the curve in the old one where the old bar used to fit. I can have someone local cut a piece, bend it and I can re-drill the holes.
Thanks again!!!

·
Premium Member
1,107 Posts
Sorry for the late response, if I'm looking at the right part# it shows the same for 65 to 68. Never seen one torn like that, how big of a sway bar does it take?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On 2006-10-21 15:26, 5851a wrote:
Sorry for the late response, if I'm looking at the right part# it shows the same for 65 to 68. Never seen one torn like that, how big of a sway bar does it take?
The mount will only take the stock sway bar. Mine is 1 1/4" aftermarket. The new one doesn't fit into the groove, it has a flat plate that bolts to it, and the new one has mounts that go to the flat plate. Not sure if that explains it well, kinda hard. I'll post a pic of the new one.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Never seen one torn like that, how big of a sway bar does it take?
i have a better question- how the heck did you tear it up. i've never seen one torn like that either.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On 2006-10-22 05:43, sgettin wrote:
Never seen one torn like that, how big of a sway bar does it take?
i have a better question- how the heck did you tear it up. i've never seen one torn like that either.

No idea. I use the car during the summer to go to work, and drive it whenever I can, but I don't abuse it at all. I am wondering if I had the wrong end links on it, maybe they were to long.
I am rebuilding the front end this winter so hopefully that will take car of any problems.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Hey Scott, if you still need that bracket, I may have a spare I can send you. If I still have one it's yours if you want it....

Just let me know

Jim

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
On 2006-10-23 04:35, 673904spd wrote:
Damn double post...!!!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: 673904spd on 10/23/06 7:35pm ]</font>
That's would be great!!! Let me know how much.
Scott

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmmm..... Got an extra one?
I think I figured out why mine broke. The end links I put on were a little longer than stock ones (don't know why I didn't notice that when I installed them) I think they were pushing down to hard on the sway bar causing the failure.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: psivory on 10/26/06 8:54am ]</font>

·
Registered
822 Posts
Scott, I apologize, I have not had a chance to get out to the shed and look for that bracket.....

I will try and get out there this weekend.

If you find one before then, just let me know.....

Jim

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No problem Jim. The weather is starting to turn here in RI so I am getting ready to start the front end rebuild. Haven't found one around here yet.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts