Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any Old Skool tips and tricks to synchronizing a pair of carbs? Are the synchronizing tools necessary? Is there something that can be home made to replace it? These are side-draft Strombergs (CD150's) on a 4-cylinder motor. I'v got it running pretty well, good throttle response, good idle quality, but I'v never messed with dual carbs for street use before. Do I even need to bother?

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
there is a very simple way . works perfect .

not a cut & paste or links person , may the klutz can hook you up.

like the way it runs , could be good enough

·
Banned
6,355 Posts
the klutz has been on and no help ! thats to be expected simple way to sync. carbs is with a long piece (small dia.) hose like windshield washer... slide hose down carb , near throttle blade , other end in ear . sound match , they are both the same

·
Registered
88 Posts
I used to run dual SUs on a potent (by 4 cylinder standards) 2 liter engine - synchronizing definitely makes a difference. I used a unisyn synchronizer. One old school trick I heard of was to use a rubber hose - one end in your ear, the other end in the mouth of the carb. Adjust until the hiss of the airflow at idle sounds the same in both carbs. There was an inexpensive kit that had a fitting that went into the top of each carb slide with a wire that protruded horizontally. One fitting went in each carb & the cartbs were adjusted so that the wires were even with each other. (I had the kit at one point & threw it away. Never seemed to work that well) In case anyone makes the suggestion, the synchronizers for independent runner intakes on motorcycles (they usually have mercury in a tube) will not work on dual carbs due to the vacuum balance passage between the carbs on a dual carb setup. If you are going to keep the car, it is probably easiest to buy a unisyn (if they are still made). Hope this helps.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everybody, We're re-assembling the car now after painting. the motor is still a few days from being back where it goes. I just wanted a few days head start if there was some kind of tool to be made that would do the job. I think I'll try the hose method first, but my hearing is shot.

will there be a definate difference in the sound? Like a different tone or something or will I just be listening for the loudest sound? Guess I'll find out when I try it ...LOL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts