Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you run all or part synthetic fluids in you tranny?
Was thinking it might help to have some to help in lubrication.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well what do you use?
All synthetic? what brand?
Just partial or an additive like Lucas?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I used to run Red Line racing ATF (typeF) in my tranny, then I switched to Royal Purple......Now I run straight 5W-20 Mobil1, synthetic motor oil. No problems EVER!!

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm Mobil 1 in the tranny?
Have been toying with that idea
1966 Stang Coupe Org. 6 cyl. 351w,Sealed Power Hypers, ARP bolts,Total Seal rings,Eagle H-beams rods,Balanced,Hedman long tubes, TMD 2.05/1.60 Vic Jr Knockoffs, 1.6 Stainless steel Roller Rockers, Victor Jr intake, Holley 750 DP, Ed Nix Custom .600/.600 254/258 @.050 Solid Cam, Crane solid roller lifters,Richmond 4.11, Strange mini spool, Modified C4, 3500 stall, ******* Transbrake, B&M Hammer shifter, Shelby lowered, Pro-Comp 6Al system. Mickey Thompson 275/50 Et Street Drag radials.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Forthman on 4/28/06 8:42pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Me too. 5W-20 Mobil 1 engine oil.

·
Registered
275 Posts
5w-20 here, haven't run it yet, but soon.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
I was considering 0W20 since the thinner the viscosity the quicker it flows and faster the trans reacts, clutches apply quicker and bands apply quicker but I have had no problems all these years with Valvoline type FA so it's a little hard to switch but I am seriously considering it

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Around here I can't get 0W-20 anymore. All I can find is 5W-20. The bottle says it "replaces" 0W-20.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Can you mix say Dextron III and some Mobil 1 5-20w ?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Why? I wouldn't do it.

·
Premium Member
2,806 Posts
The 15/40 and 20/50 is good on heavy duty applications like towing or hard useage. All GM and Ford trannies like it that I have serviced in this way. Worn out seals seal better especially scored or cut clutch apply piston seals. I currently work for a school bus company and got them to switch from ATF to the bulk 15/40 diesel oil after I put the oil in 5 busses(2 Ford and 3 Dodge trannies and they are the ONLY 5 busses that didn't have burned fluid after 2 years or broke out of 90 busses. Now there are no more road calls for transmission failures and no more "emergency" filter/fluid changes because of burned fluid or not shifting properly. I also saved them a lot of money by not needing the more expensive ATF and just using the cheaper bulk 15/40 diesel oil.

I checked and found Mobile 1 0W-20 so I will buy a couple cases before they are gone since it seems they are not replacing the 0W-20 store inventories up here either

·
Registered
275 Posts
I'm curious about the 15w40 in ford trannies. What tranny did those busses have? Any of them e4OD's or 4r100's?

Eric

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Why not mix in some synthetic?
be cheaper than all synthetic.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
On 2006-05-18 02:01, forthman wrote:
Why not mix in some synthetic?
be cheaper than all synthetic.
Here is my opinion and it's only an opinion. It is the same for motor oil in your engine.

The properties of synthetic oil is that is doesn't burn as easily. When oil gets hot, such as in a racing condition, it starts to break down. Many of the good properties evaporate or burn up and leave a lot of bad crap that doesn't have the same good properties that it once had. Conventional oil does this. Synthetic oil can withstand heat much better. It doesn't burn up at the same temperature as converntional oil.

If you mix the converntional with the synthetic oil you basically dilute to good properties of the synthetic oil. The converntional oil can still burn and leave you with crap. Why mix it?

I work for a company in the automotive industry. We have fooled around with testing convertional and synthetic fluids in the test lab. I say "fooled around" because it wasn't scientificly controlled. We put oils in extreme hot and extreme cold conditions just to see what it would do. Have you ever seen the old Mobil I commercials on TV that cooked oil in a skillet? That's not a lie. The conventional oil burned up until nothing was left but solid sludge. Synthetic oil held up to a liquid state. We also froze the 2 oils down to -40F. The converntional oil became solid with the consistency of vasilene with no flow properties at all. The synthetic oil stayed fluid. It thickened to the consistency of honey but would still flow. These test were enough to sell me on the advantages of synthetic oil.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well then why do we see motor oils that say Part synthetic?
and the Lucas tranny fluid is the same way?
But i must say i tend to agree with your point of view.
Guess i will bite the bullet and try the Mobil 1 in the tranny.

1966 Stang Coupe Org. 6 cyl. 351w,Sealed Power Hypers, ARP bolts,Total Seal rings,Eagle H-beams rods,Balanced,Hedman long tubes, TMD 2.05/1.60 Vic Jr Knockoffs, 1.6 Stainless steel Roller Rockers, Victor Jr intake, Holley 750 DP, Ed Nix Custom .600/.600 254/258 @.050 Solid Cam, Crane solid roller lifters,Richmond 4.11, Strange mini spool, Modified C4, 3500 stall, ******* Transbrake, B&M Hammer shifter, Shelby lowered, Pro-Comp 6Al system. Mickey Thompson 275/50 Et Street Drag radials.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: forthman on 5/19/06 3:15pm ]</font>

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Again, this is just my opinion. Synthetic "blends" are just a marketing gimic. They can charge you more money than converntional oil and give you diluted sythetic oil.
They don't tell you how much percentage is in there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Coming from the dirtbike world, alot of people will stay away from any motor oil that has the "Energy Conserving" logo on the back. Reasoning that to get that logo friction modifiers are added and they are not good for a wet clutch and will cause it to slip. I'm not sure if this 5w20 mobil 1 has this, but I bet it does. Does anyone have any long time use reports with it?

On a similar note, there seems to be a number of big name/big power mustang people that use and like the tractor fluid. Check out this link:

http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/index.php?topic=58907.0

Anybody have any input on that?

Troy

·
Registered
133 Posts
Ive tried the 0W-20 mobil 1 . Worked great and couldnt find much difference in performance between it and regular transmssion fluid . Ive also tried royal purple 46 FDA synthetic just because I have access to lots of it for free. Totally clear and difficult to see on the dipstick but works well despite being a lot more viscous. the stall speed on it was about 300 rpm higher than the mobil one.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts