Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you run synthetic oil in a powerstroke? My father in law hauls stuff coast to coast and wanted to ask. Someone said he couldnt because it would ruin fuel injectors? Sounds fishy to me.
Thanks
Tracy

·
Registered
247 Posts
Sure, why not ? Red fuel damages injectors because of lack of sulfer. This is according to Ford. I`ve seen people run red fuel for years with no problems in 7.3Ls.

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
The key here is the wrong oil can cause damage in a common rail diesel or any electronic high pressure oil over fuel injectors

You have to follow the oil rating for a powerstroke diesel. The injectors are electrical actuated, high pressure oil fired (3000 psi at times) and that pushed a slug of fuel into the cyl

The wrong oil foams, its real bad, even additives to a "proper" oil can hurt a PSD, and at best will just run horrible, but at worst can cause bad scoring.

Just read the oil requirement in the manual, as long as it matches the high pressure / anti-foaming of the requirment, it'll be fine, but you CANNOT just run any oil, not even any real expensive oil in a Powerstroke, or any other oil fired common rail injectors, it'll get expensive quick

Synthetic versus dino doesnt matter, but the rating HAS to match, cant run regular rated gas oil in the new diesels (for long)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: My427stang on 5/11/06 10:12am ]</font>

·
Registered
391 Posts
i agree 427,usually the anti foaming additives start to depleat at or around 3000 mi,foamed oil will play hell on 7.3L inj,will cause serious driveability concerns,diesel oil will sludge,not like a gas engine,but will leave a tacky residue all over the engine.had to replace all 8 inj on a 2001 7.3L one time due to sludge,damn thing wouldn't start,inj passed elec buzz test but you couldn't hear them,very faint,just change your oil every 3k mile with conv oil,its cheaper in the long run

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
I run Delo 15w40 in mine, I did try Rotella Synthetic once and had an IPR failure. Probably coincidence, maybe even definitely, I cant see it causing dmage, but the Delo is cheaper and I just change every 3000-3500 miles.

·
Registered
391 Posts
had a cust using the lucas oil additive,every oil change he got a ipr and some times ahigh press pump,we thought somthing strange was going on on in his veh,with 150k on engine,he told us he was using the additive,just what the hell was going on in there i dont know,but he stopped using the addi and he stoped eating iprs,he was getting one about every 13k

·
Premium Member
3,804 Posts
That Lucas is no good for our setups. Not sure if you ever went to bobistheoilguy.com but he tested that Lucas stuff and it foams like nobodies business

I told you my Rotella Syn issue, I also tried Valvoline Super Blue because it was buy a case, get one free, and rated correctly. Well that stuff even foamed on the dipstick if you checked it after a run around the block. I ended up giving the case to a Dodge buddy

Now, I dont even mix Rotella T dino and Delo from one oil change to another. I use only Delo. I figure enough stays in the HPOP system that I dont need to be mixing additive packages

IF Delo wasnt available, I'd switch and stay with only Rotella-T dino, but the key is not mixing

I am not this fussy with gasser oils, as long as its a good oil, but for these high pressure systems, you cant screw around.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2001 7.3L Excursion Limited and I exclusively use Amsoil 15W-40 Diesel synthetic. I tow a 31 foot travel trailer and have a chip, intake, larger exhaust and gauges. I have been really please with the Amsoil and the analysis comes back very good. I also use the same Amsoil in my 6.5L turbodiesel Suburban and have 200K trouble free miles.
Todd

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
I've run Conventional Rotella-T for Years in My Powerstroke Trucks, can't remember ever having an oil related issue. Currently Running a Cummins with Rotella and no problems either.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I've run Delo for 200,000 miles. Just now starting to use a little oil between changes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Can you run synthetic oil in a powerstroke? My father in law hauls stuff coast to coast and wanted to ask. Someone said he couldnt because it would ruin fuel injectors? Sounds fishy to me.
Thanks
Tracy
I used Motor Craft in my truck I gave it 3 changes (15k), and I hated it, it doesnt hold a candle IMO to any of the other diesle oils out their. The truck started hard, I had ticking noises, and the truck just didnt feel right...

I went to Valvoline synthetic in the winter and regular Valvoline in the spring time... In my truck this oil works great 2 changes so far,,, Cheers

PS I do love motor craft oil filters

This opinion is just mine...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts