Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - I've got a 66 with an I6 and automatic, which I plan to replace with a small V-8 and a T-5 transmission. Yep, I'm gonna be replacing a LOT of parts, and I want this whole thing to be as simple/cheap as possible. My first question - since I need to replace the rear end anyway, would I be best off with an 8.8 (assuming the driveshaft/yoke match would be easier) or just go the traditional 8"/9" route. Any opinions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
333 Posts
The width of the 8.8 might cause a problem, if it's too wide. Most driveshaft shops can adapt what ever yoke or flange you need to make it work for not a whole lot of money.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
8" or 9" is going to be a whole lot simpler (they where avaliable in the car) and you can find used ones with the correct width and perches. An 8.8 will probably have to be shortened, new axels, perches made / Installed and old brackets removed, Ect.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I seem to remember reading that the 8.8 rear end from 86-93 mustangs are the correct width for my car. The rear needs to have spring perches welded on, but no other changes are needed. Is my information correct?

·
Registered
3,572 Posts
You'll be having customize the driveshaft. The U joints on the 8.8 are larger and bolt on with a flange so you'll need to shorten it and weld on the end for the 8.8 to your existing shaft.

Simple and cheap= and 8" or 9" axle. IIRC the driveshaft is the same for the V8 too.

Stu

1 - 6 of 6 Posts