Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
wassup fordmuscle
I just recently decided to do a tranny swap in my 64 1/2 mustang that currently is auto c4 and has the I6 200. I got my hands on a 88 t-5 with bellhousing, clutchpressure plate, cultch, and clutch fork. I bought used clutch and brake pedals assemblies from a 65 and wanted to also convert to cable operated. I dont know if i have to change my flywheel? Also which bellhousing to use because cable operated is for late model bellhousing but everyone has been telling me it wont bolt to the I6. any advice would be great thanks community

·
Registered
550 Posts
It does exist a special T5 installation kit for L6 engine. I think that I saw that in NPD but in your case, the easiest thing is that kit.

Otherwise, I'm not sure that your bellhousing bolt patern will fit your engine block and if so, as you're using a late model bellhousing, the driveshaft should not have the correct lenght.

PS: sorry, my english isn't my mother language, I speak usually in french ;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Small blocks are small blocks. The only difference is the number of teeth on the flywheel. I think the late bell will work

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the help guys i did call the guy up and estimated a kit to be around 1400 is that how much you guys paid? it sounds a bit expensive if you ask me. feedback is appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
16 Posts
thanks for the help guys i did call the guy up and estimated a kit to be around 1400 is that how much you guys paid? it sounds a bit expensive if you ask me. feedback is appreciated thanks.

no, no, no. that is toooooo expensive. someone sells a kit for that conversion for around $400. let me see if I can find it.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
I dont know if i have to change my flywheel? Also which bellhousing to use because cable operated is for late model bellhousing but everyone has been telling me it wont bolt to the I6. any advice would be great thanks community
If you have a C4 and you are swapping for a manual trans T5 you will need a new flywheel. Automatic flywheels are sometimes referred to as a flex plate because they are so thin, manual trans cars have a much thicker flywheel for the clutch plate to ride on.

You will also need to make sure that the flywheel balance weight matches your harmonic balancer weight. Its 28 oz for early V8's and somewhere in the early 80's Ford switched to a 50 oz.

This is for the windsor block V8. An I6 is probably different but I dont know for sure. I havent done a T5 swap on an inline 6 so I dont know if the I6 block even uses the same bell housing bolt pattern that the 5.0/302/289 does.

·
Registered
4,003 Posts
You will have to get all the parts to mount a standard tranny on your Mustang - including the bellhousing for your 200. You then will have to add an adapter plate between the tranny and the bellhousing to fit your T5. You will have to use the standard clutch linkage for the 6 cyl Mustang because there are no provisions to mount a slave cylinder or cable to the bellhousing. If you drop the cable part of this tranny switch you will make it a "bolt in" job.
Try Transdapt for the adapter plate - If they don't have it and can't tell you where to get it you may have to have it made at a local machine shop. Still less expensive than $400

1 - 12 of 12 Posts