Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey out there,

Anyone know the input shaft length difference between a between a T-5 from a 4 cylinder and a V8 T-5 or T-5z??? I think the 4 cylinder's is longer, but don't know how much??

How hard is it to change input shafts??

Thanks,
Cobrajack

·
Registered
14 Posts
Check out the FordMuscle Tech section:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/09/t5swap/index2.shtml

When I swapped a 302 into my '89 4banger hatchback, I used my 4banger T5. The only things I needed was a V8 bellhousing, fork,etc..and a pilot bearing that fit had the inner diameter of the 4banger input shaft and the outer diameter of a 5.0L crank. Some people have had no problems with a stock/slightly modified, and some launch with MT Streets and lunch their 2nd gear syncros. The 4banger T5 has bronze syncros, but can be rebuilt with steel syncros and other beefy components with a FMS kit for around a couple of bills. You could also change the input shaft all together, to a 5.0L one....that's a different story....

good luck!
Check out my web site below if you're bored...good luck!

·
Registered
57 Posts
vangough - could you supply more info re: steel synchro swap and "other" components from FMS? I have a 93 4 cyl and am interested in upgrading the t-5 for my eventual swap. What is FMS? What should i swap besides the synchros? Thanks for your help

·
Registered
14 Posts
FMS is short for Ford Motorsport, sorry I hate anachronyms too. You can change your input shaft to a 5.0L according to Ford and also 5speeds.com...ask them if you want, you'll get more info if you email 5speeds.com You'd have to change the pilot bearing back to a 5.0L one though. If your input shaft if OK looking, and you're not going over 300 horseys (and not going with too heavy of a clutch) I wouldn't worry about changing the input shaft to a 5.0L for now. If you get a FMS catalog, you'll find a WC (World Class) rebuild/beefup kit for around $250.00 if I remember. You'll also note that it has a note for 4banger T5's, in that you have to get a different input shaft bearing/race from the dealership. I'm hoping to build up a 4banger T5 with this method and keep with the 4banger input shaft.

good luck!

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Todd...

Thanks for the reply.....I am using the 4 cyl. T-5 behind my 408W stroker and it seems to be fine!! First gear is a little low though and I was thinking about going to T-5z??

Someone makes a sleeve to go on the smaller pilot bearing snout on the 4 cyl. input....it works OK and extra length of .23" or so is not a problem. If you are interested in the sleeve let me know and I'll try to find out where you can get one.

Cobrajack

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah, it's like....shift, shift, 3rd and then breath...I kinda like it though, keeps you on your toes.

Vangogh is my username because it was my dog's name, he died last year....it's funny you ask about painting though, because I need to paint my 'stang soon, it's red,white and blue...before it was 'popular'. This was because when I got it last year, the pass. door and hatch were rusted through, so I got red parts from the junkyard. The car was blue and I also replaced the hood with a cowl induction one, white still.

The main problem I get with running the 4banger T5 is that with 3.73's in the back and the LOW 1st and 2nd (I usually run cheapy Futuras on the road), I just sit and burn'em. Cool the first couple of times, but it hurts the wallet,and I can't run my ET Streets on the road too much.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts