Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Completed my 331 Stroker Build. Had the T-5 rebuilt with better gear ratios. New clutch, new flywheel, new throw out bearing, new pilot bearing. Everything is new. Dynoed about 340 hp. However, my shifter vibrates like crazy in the upper rpm range when in gear. The higher the rpm the more it [email protected]##$

It does not abnormally vibrate when in neutral only in gear. The shifter is a Hurst. I beleive there is an issue in the transmission.

Anyone out there in Mustang Land had an issue like this? I have never experienced this before and I am an old fart. FYI I have all new poly mounts in the engine and trans. Also, I run a Maximum Motorsport Suspension with Coil Overs. The car rolls down the road great.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'll go with the obvious question first...you've got the correct balance flywheel for your application, right?

As for the shifter, the stops for the handle aren't touching when it gear, are they?

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I installed a Fandanza aluminum 28oz flywheel along with a 28oz 'Rattller' harmonic balancer. Scat 9000 crank. Reciprocating assembly was all balanced before assembly. When I built the 331 it necitated going from a 50oz imbalance to a 28 oz imbalance. Stops do not touch. The shifter does not vibrate when in nuetral but when it gear at high rpm it vibrates badly. The T-5 was completely overhauled before installation. I am leaning toward a transmission anomaly. If the engine was out of balance the car would shake too not just the shifter.
I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
could just be your drive shaft or pinion angles from the trans tail to the rearend as well

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK! OK! OK! Here is the fix for the vibration. I pulled the transmission and removed the new clutch. I removed the 28 oz weight from the aluminum flywheel. Reassembled and the vibration was gone. Apparently, it was a miscommunication between me and the machine shop.
They machined the block and balanced the reciprocating assembly. I assembled the engine, trans and car for that matter. The machine shop balance the reciprocating assembly without the 28 oz weight.

So a good lesson learned. No harm done and I have a sweet running, sweet sounding Coupe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same vibration problem right now. It gets worse as i go faster which kinda makes me think it might be my driveshaft or u-joints. but what is weird is it kinda vibrates a bit when just revving. The question has been bugging me that, Can you put a flywheel on in the wrong position? like off by one bolt? or does it just fit one way? also i have a 1993 motor with a world class t5 in and 84'. What balancer weight and damper weight should i be dealing with?

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Have either of you investigated the possiblity of torque influenced contact? It may be a long shot, but often, I've found vibrations can be traced to shifters contacting the floor pan.

No, it is not possible to install the fly wheel incorrectly. On most engines that are external balanaced - There is normally at least one bolt that is off by just enough to make it obvious that it will not align correctly...if you spin the flywheel around they all fall into place.

On engines that are designed for zero balance, this is not necessary.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Beoweolf on 6/5/07 6:19am ]</font>

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
ok I will ask again DID YOU REMOVE THE 28 OZ From the balancer as well ????? If not you are gunna have a broken crankshaft snout before too long

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No I did not. The machine shop balanced the engine with all the reciprocating components including flywheel, harmonic balancer. 'I' added the 28 oz weight by mistake. No vibration at all now at any RPM.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts