Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is all needed for the T-5 tranny to go into a 1965 mustang.It is a 289 6 bolt bell housing.What flywheel and clutch and bellhousing and such would I need to use?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Check out the archives here, there are a couple really good articles about the T-5 swap into an early horse, also you can check out Moderndriveline.com, he has some good info there as well.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Check out Windsor-Fox also. They have everything you need.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There are two ways to go. You can get a spacer plate that will mount the T5 to your bell housing/clutch. Or you can get a 5.0 bell housing which needs no spacer.
Both require a new cross member. Both may require shortening of your drive shaft, you have to put it in and see if you need to shorten. Mine did not. Some say you need to use the T5 yoke. They both fit and use the same u-joint. I measured them both and they measured out the same. Finally, you need a new speedo cable as the T5 mount is on the other side of the case.

However, the 5.0 parts require either modifying the T5 bell housing to use the early clutch mechanism or change the car to use the 5.0 cable linkage. You also need to get the 5.0 engine plate and starter. Many of these parts can be purchased as a kit from people like Mustangs Plus.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts