Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being a complete novice when it comes to anything drive train I have to ask, would a T-56 be a good choice for a streetstrip car? I mean wouldn't the double overdrive be a great way to compensate for numericaly higher rear gears? Is the expense this tranny's only downside? I ask because T-56's seem to be talked about verry little...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: CougarKid on 2/17/02 5:12am ]</font>

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, I think cost is the only downside. Most of the T-56's that fit into ford products have the .80:1 5th, .62:1 6th, as opposed to te chevy/viper .50:1 6th. So the 6th gear would be about the same ratio as 5th on a T5.
http://www.fortesparts.com
is a good site for more info

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so am I right in thinking that the steeper the gears the more power it takes to turn them? What kind of force would you need to practicaly use a .50:1 ratio overdrive??

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
CougarKid.....

With 3.55 gears you would be turning about 1000 RPM's at 55 MPH with a 0.50:1 6th gear....Not very practical??

Even if you went to 4.56 gears you still would be around 1300 RPM's at 55 MPH!!

Most engines like to pull above 2000 RPM's and you would probably find yourself not using 6th gear at all........Unless you have a Diesel!!!

My $.02,
Cobrajack

1 - 5 of 5 Posts