Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy a FMS T-5Z and have a few questions??

1. The pilot shaft has a "Cobra Tapered Roller Pocket".....What does that mean??? A tapered pilot bearing???

2. The input shaft is 1 1/16" 10T...What is this??

3. Output shaft is 28T...What is this??

Will it "plug in" to a 302/351 set up with a 157 tooth flywheel and standard FMS clutch??

I currently have a T-5 and want to make sure the new one will fit without a bunch of changes??!!

Thanks,
Cobrajack

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Cobrajack on 2/12/02 6:38pm ]</font>

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm about to buy a FMS T-5Z and have a few questions??

1. The pilot shaft has a "Cobra Tapered Roller Pocket".....What does that mean??? A tapered pilot bearing???

It will not affect you.You can use your current roller bearing setup.It is basically the way the input shaft is machined.It still uses a standard 5.0/T5 roller bearing

2. The input shaft is 1 1/16" 10T...What is this??

The 1 1/16" 10T means the diameter of the input shaft is 1-1/16" and has 10 splines.Same as your current T5

3. Output shaft is 28T...What is this??

The 28T output is the standard 28 spline output shaft size of a T5

Will it "plug in" to a 302/351 set up with a 157 tooth flywheel and standard FMS clutch??
I currently have a T-5 and want to make sure the new one will fit without a bunch of changes??!!

If you currently have a T5 installed the T5Z will be a direct bolt in with no mods needed.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
I can't answer your specific questions regarding the technical stuff on the T5-Z. I can however heartily recommend Bruce Couture who runs a company called moderndriveline.com. He specializes in getting manual trannies into unusual Ford applications. I'm in the process of installing one of his T5-Zs into my '61 Falcon. He has modified it to fit correctly without cutting the integral cross member on my car's body. You might want to contact him if you've got a difficult installation.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys....

I contacted Joe at D & D Performance and he cleared up the issues!! The "tapered pocket" is inside the trans behind the bearing retainer!! The pilot bearing surface is the same as all before.

As FLA LSCSE says the input shaft and splines and output splines are stock....Soooo, the swap "should" be painless!!

BTW, I talked to Bruce Couture some time back and he seemed very knowledgeable on the tremec transmissions!! I shopped around and got a FMS T-5z from D & D for about $150.00 less and 2 day shipping......Bruce is in California and shipping was higher plus about 7 days for delivery!!

Thanks again,
Cobrajack

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Installed the T-5z yesterday and it bolted right up!! I'm using the stock shifter and it feels a little "mushy" compared to the '88 T-5 I replaced??

Only real difference I see is that the first 3 gears are higher than before and OD is a lot higher!! Before 2000 RPM's produced 60 MPH in 5th.....now 2000 RPM's is 75 MPH!!!

I'll bet it gets 25+ MPG on the highway!!!

Cobrajack

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
That's great news about the gas mileage in 5th. My buddy and I are going from C4 to the T5-Z (slowly but surely, its a learning process for us both) and are looking for a good diagram for how to put the clutch package together. Any ideas on that?

I've heard that any T5 really benefits from a good aftermarket shifter. You probably already know that from your earlier T5. I'm using a Power Tower shifter and its got very precise short shifts.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
The short throw shifter is one of the best mods I have done with my T-5 mustangs, I would not own a mustang without one.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nastystang.....

In 5th gear I actually went from 0.79:1 in the T-5 to the T-5z with 0.63:1.......At 55 MPH it's turning a whopping 1450 RPM's!!!!

I have a Pro 5.0 shifter without the rubber insert that the stock Ford shifter has. I will stick it on and see how it feels?? The stock shifter is pretty good but a little stiffer than the old one!!

Cobrajack

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
You gotta like that, makes it nice on the freeways. If you havent used a short throw shifter before you will love it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts