On 2006-03-20 00:57, LightningFastFords wrote:
I'm on my 3rd 88 Turbo Coupe since the Mid 1988 Model year...and I still have a thing for them
IMHO...Ford could have done a better on the car from a number of standpoints...but I still like them and always wish to keep one on hand.
(1) Paint defects were rampant during this timeframe
(2) The Automatics used were DOGS
(3) Error Codes are seemingly ever present
(4) The interior does not age well...especially the dash pad and center console arm rests , unless it was always garage kept. Interior fade seems to happen early , unless garage kept
(5) The IHI Turbo Charger on the 87 and 88 are weaker than the Garretts used on the 84-86's
(6) The parking brake cables are a very weak design
(7) They tend to run Hot...or indicate being so.
On a positive note.
(1)A well maintained TC is very comfortable
(2)A model with a 5-Speed can be fun as well as more reliable
(3)The 87 and 88's have an inter-cooler that will prolong the Turbo's life-span
(4) Most parts other than certain hoses can be found easily
(5) It's a good handling car.
(6) It's economical when well maintained..and the Turbo Boost isn't always pegged.
(7) Even a bit dated..it's still stylish
(The automatic climate control is nice
(9) The factory stereo wasn't bad for its time...but its an antique now
If you can locate a TC that isn't worn out with the paint oxidized and clear coat peeling like a snake or the interior isn't shot to hell...Give one a try...as long as it's a 5-Speed.
Just my opinion