Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 248 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'VE SEEN T&L ENGINES ON E-BAY AND HAVE JUST SEEN THEM IN 5.0 MUSTANG & FAST FORD ARTICLE. COMPANY IS LOCATED IN NORTH CAROLINA. HAS ANYBODY HAD ANY
DEALINGS WITH THEM. PRICES ON ENGINES SEEM VERY REASONABLE

·
Registered
1 Posts
i tried to get a response from them through email, and its been 2 months with no response. So, that pretty much stopped my interest in their products.

Also, I searched the web for people that might use their engines, and I couldn't find anybody talking about them(good or bad).

But i'd like to know what people have to say about them also.

mike

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
David Vizzard - tech editor for Popular Hotrodding did an article on T&L Engine Development. David was teaching at University of North Carolina at Charlotte (UNCC) in the Motorsports program. My wife works in the department and I have talked to David about engine building and read his articles in Popular Hotrodding -

I really enjoy this articles - but they do get deep and you will have to read 2 times.

Search the internet for PHR and you will see these articles.

A few months back David wrote an article in PHR about T&L engine Devopment. 704-888-8111 - They are located in Sanfield, NC - 45 min. Northeast of Charlotte near the metropolis of Locust, NC. David seeks out regional talent for his articles and projects. In this area they are many NASCAR shops and some are good resources for Hot/Street Rodders, and some take a week to do an 8 hour job and charge for 2 weeks work. I have a big bearing 9 inch rear narrowed by one of these shop in Mooresville, NC - The [email protected]@holes could not read a tape measure and narrowed the rear end 3/4 of an inch more than I asked. I needed 57 inches flange to flange. I did not check before I paid (my error). I assembled the rear end in my 1939 Ford and the 15x7 stock offset wheels hit the leaf springs. I went back to complain, they handed me 2 hokey spacer plates and said NASCAR does this all the time - I said Bull [email protected]@.

They were snow birds from New York. You live and learn - I sold the rear end off and bought a 1957 Ford 9 inch to bolt in. Still makes me mad, the big bearing 9 inch was a NOS unit given to me out of a High School Tech program. It had a donated metal tag from Ford Motor Co. I kept the tag.

I do not have any direct experance with T&L - but if David Vizzard refered them they should be a good shop - I have a lot of confidance in David's opinion. Call on the phone - these boys might not be computer users - and just farmed out the web site. Remember - this is North Carolina - not So Cal.

Take Care,
Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Re: T&L ENGINES IN N.C.

I have had my engine ordered from t&l for well over a year. For the whole entire time I have had setback after setback with t&l, none which where my fault. T&L seemed like a good company at first and after the first couple of months of being ran around I started to get upset and demanded my money back because I never recieved a engine or even a explanation. After over a year and a half of this crap I demanded my money back. After I recieved a BAD check for the entire amount I became very upset. I also sent them my heads and distributar which I still have not recieved. Oh yeah its been over a month and still haven't recieved a good check, so as of right now no money and no parts!

·
Registered
694 Posts

Wow I was going to get one of their 347 strokers, But now i'm iffy. This place has such a great reputation, Also 100% feedback on ebay. Have you talked to Lloyd... I believe he is the owner. If so what does he have to say? Bogus checks and they stole your heads and dizzy, And you haven't charged them with fraud yet? I see this is your first post here, I hope your not trying to get some people riled up that have ordered thses engines. Anyways it will be interesting to here your response.

·
Registered
376 Posts

After over a year and a half of this crap I demanded my money back. After I recieved a BAD check for the entire amount I became very upset.
In NC writing a bad check is a misdameanor offence. Bad checks don't go to collections here, they go to the magistrates office, so you could call in an airstrike on them if you get hold of the Stanly County courthouse and have a Worthless Check Warrant issued for the owner of the business. Just a thought...
-J

·
Registered
98 Posts

HI. my first post, I have heard REAL good things about T&L, this is the only bad yet in about a month of lookin, any follow-up info on that yet, lookin for a stroker w/ close to 581 rwhp, for my 88 gt good luck rick

·
Registered
4 Posts

Greetings Everyone,

Stay the hell away from T&L Engines! They are the biggest bunch of thieves there are. Not only that, they lie. I am out 8700.00 to these dirt bags. I have heard so many different stories, it is amazing they are still alive. I have some relatives close by them, all cops, and they are going to see if they can get something done about Lloyd McCleary. He is the Owner and President of the company. A company I bought a car from, recommended them as a good source for engines. I just hope I can get my money out of them, and get them shut down. If anyone else is close by Stanfield, NC. A visit might not hurt. these guys have been written up in some pretty big magazines, but something has gone terribly wrong with these folks.
TTYL
Wayne Mills

·
Registered
2 Posts

I actually work at T&L Engines. Have been there for 2 1/2 years. Wayne (pipedoctor), I know exactly who you are and you should really apologize for all the nonsense you are throwing around. You know very well that we are in contact with you pretty much on a daily basis. We have even sent you pictures of your engine. The blower, which has been out of stock, is on its way. The day it lands at the shop, we will install it, dyno test, and ship it that day. If you have relatives here, send them out. We love giving tours of our facility and welcome anyone else to come tour as well. You could even have THEM take a picture of your engine for you. We are very proud of our operation and product. That will be very evident to you once you see that baby sitting in your car.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Well, this basically sucks my testicles....I want to order a motor, and have heard many good things about t&l, but this post worries menow, what to d, what to do???

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

When in business, one bad report is worth a thousand

·
Registered
2 Posts

Your right, one bad report is worth a thousand, and its unfortunate. It is even more sad when it is done because someone becomes irrational and says things that are not true. If only the thousands of good reports, satisfied customers, and national attention T and L gets could outweigh the bad. T and L Engines were featured in more national magazines this year so far than any other engine shop; told that by David Vizard who is here on a regular basis doing write ups on our builds. Google his name and see if he doesn't carry enough clout for you. Or go pick up the November issues of Chevelle magazine, Muscle Mustang and Fast Fords, or Popular Hot Rodding. We are in them all. Notice pipedoctor was referred to us by his car builder. His car builder was StreetBeasts. Just give Lloyd a call, he takes 99% of the sales calls at T and L and I gaurantee after speaking with him, you wouldn't hesitate to order an engine. Enough with that...we all can appreciate a pic of a nice blower motor. Here is pipedoctors baby. All she needs is the blower belt installed and we will bring it to life.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,334 Posts

I wasnt saying anything bad about you guys at all. BUT on the otherhand, if I waited a year for an engine, I would be a little peeved as well. Now with that said, from what I have been told, T&L is a great engine shop, and is even known at a place in North Carolina where I used to work at, and they are the high end of NASCAR racing.

·
Registered
4 Posts

Follow Up,

I think it would only be fair to post a follow up, as I blasted T&L earlier.

I finally got my engine from them. It was 8 weeks late, but finally did arrive. It looks good, and arrived in good condition. Time will tell if it is good. From the build specs, it should be a good engine. T&L has a good reputation as an engine builder. Just takes a long time to get one.

Lloyd is backed up over 100 engines. So, it will take at least 4 months to get an engine, or longer. The key point here is, you will get your engine, just depends on how high your "pain" threshold is. Is it worth the wait? I have no idea. If I had it to do over again, I would pay a little more, and get it locally.

It used to be, in the racing circuit around Charlotte, if you wanted to win, you had to run a T&L engine. Not so anymore. Technology has caught up, and the use of CNC machining centers has equalized the playing field. So exact tolerances are common place now.

Llolyd is a nice guy, just way behind. Probably will be for the next 8 years.

Wayne

·
Registered
1 Posts

Slow yes, but they do stand by their product. My engine had some problems and I sent it back. Every Valve guide had failed (Bad batch from Crane). Lloyd took the engine without a quibble and I'm happy to say it runs stronger now than before. T&L valve job v/s RHS is to blame for the extra HP. Thanks Lloyd, this is the monster engine I wanted powering my Cobra and it screams.

P.S. Do you give discount coupons for tires??? The rears can't handle the torque...

·
Registered
8 Posts

Well heres another version of T&L engines. We had an engine (347) built by T&L 2 yrs ago. Complete oil pan to intake, forged everything, lots of upgrades. Supposedly made 485 h.p on their dyno all motor w/1 1/2" headers. Our bill was $8200 when done. They warranty their engines for 12months/12k miles. Okay we had major transmission issues for the 1st 6 months we had the engine. So the car sat in the shop not moving. Finally we got it up and running and 1st issue was oil pressure. It was scary low to me. However I had never had a solid roller cam engine. T&L assured me low pressure was normal with a solid roller cam. Okay. I buy it.
By the time we got the engine tested and the trans set up and all, the season was over. The most it ran was 16-20 passes, did a 90 mile round trip to a car show. thats it. Mind you its a natural aspirated 347 no spray nothing. In a car using 6400rpm limiter and shifting at 5800-6000rpm.
Next season, we get the car going with a new trans as the AOD Sucked we bought from performance automatic. Were now running into our 30th pass or so and the crank blows at 1200' oils the track down and puts the $26,000 car into the wall, destroying the back half rendering it all a pile of junk.
Take the engine to loydd at T&L. It took him 2 months to tear it down and tell us what went wrong. He blames it on a $380 fluidamper! BUll****! Okay, now he says he'll make it right with us and only charge us parts to fix it. Mind you the ONLY things salvageable were the heads and oil pan!!!!! Says it will take 3-6 weeks to get it done. 6 months pass. Between calls, faxes and emails not less than 30 times inquiring the status, NONE returned or even answered! Finally get an email saying it will be ready in 2 weeks. We call at 2 weeks later Loydd says it will dyno end of next week. We go another 2 full weeks and drive 145 miles to pick it up. We get there and the bare block is sitting on the stand with the still stripped heads on the bench.
So in a nutshell we have an engine thats not made 35 passes, or gone 100 miles and it disintegrates, taking out an entire car. 7.5 months pass and they still have no engine even close to ready to go for us. yet they sell 10+ ENGINES PER WEEK ON eBAY?
TO HELL WITH t&l AND THE BULL**** THEY GIVE YOU. stay AWAY, STAY AWAY STAY AWAY!

·
Registered
8 Posts

Forgot to mention. My fiancee, (the driver) has been published in Muscle Mustangs and fast Fords twice. Race pages magazine 3 times. Shes a KNOCKOUT to look at, and grabs all the attention anyone can handle. So one would THINK a company might make just the slightest effort more to keep a high profile customer making headlines. If you follow Fun ford or NMRA in bristol, atlanta. bradenton, orlando or Holcomb Civil Wars at Rockingham. YOU have seen her and her car....Trust me you would remember her...

1 - 20 of 248 Posts