Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm using a Davis Unified Ignition distributor (basically a GM HEI) in a 351C 4V engine. Because the distributor is larger in diameter than the Ford theres interference with the upper radiator hose. It looks like I'll need an offset t-stat outlet. Does anyone know of a Ford t-stat housing with something other than the standard straight up outlet that will fit? Or an after market one? I'm looking through catalogs but you folks have been very helpful in the past sooooooooooo.

·
Registered
908 Posts
I have seen a lot of people go through all kinds of trouble to mount that POS HEI distributor on a Ford.

Not pointing any fingers at you specifically, bhotch, but I just can't get it through my thick skull what draws a person to buy that crap instead of using the Duraspark system.

Greg

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a Duraspark in it and had nothing but trouble. It keep quitting, no spark. I thought it was the harness and or connector, which came from a junk yard. So I rewired it. No better. Admittedly it worked good when it worked but I just got tired of looking like an idiot in the middle of an intersection.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
MSD, Mallory?

My 351C Unilite still ticking...since '86

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
bhotch,
I believe I have a 90 degree housing from a 385-series motor on my 351 2V. Please cross check if you try it. I just grabbed one from a bunch of spares I had lying around. That will allow the upper hose to have a straight shot to the radiator and not interfere with the DUI. While there is probably a reason Ford made them straight up on the clevelands, my 90 degree is fine.

As for the DUI, I use one on my Montego. They're a bit controversial with some Ford guys. I like it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mikelonis on 8/3/06 7:52am ]</font>

·
Registered
614 Posts
yeah mine interferes too, but not bad enough to be catastrophic. The only reason people dont like the DUI is because IT IS A CHEVY PART. Its a great setup but it still is a CHEVY, and you cant convince those against it. Ant they are a bit bulky on the front of a FORD but its a really good product, like your c4 tranny or 302 or turbo 350 tranny or 350 motor.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not real worried about a rev limiter. Maybe I'm a bit of old school but a tach and my right foot will suffice.

·
Registered
614 Posts
it has nor rev limiter, that i can think of. I dont have a DUI but a PROCOMP so maybe there could be a difference.

·
Registered
460 Posts
The 90 degree cover comes standard in the last few models of falcons with clevos in Australia. Should be able to get pretty easy i'd say.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
Where does one order one of those aussie units? I have one from a 460 that does not clear the altenator, It runs right smack into it..

With our "industrial" radiator hose it just touches the cap.

This would give another spot to mount a water temp guage no?

This is close to the t-stat housing I have for the 460.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wildosvt01 on 8/3/06 9:54pm ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: wildosvt01 on 8/3/06 9:55pm ]</font>

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I found mine on ebay. According to what one of the previous posters wrote they might be available here if you search a wrecking yard.

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
I'm assuming you found the 385 series like the pic I listed on page 1?

·
Registered
4,589 Posts
On 2006-08-03 17:47, 65460 wrote:
On 2006-08-03 07:21, wildosvt01 wrote:
I'm assuming you found the 385 series like the pic I listed on page 1?
Wil, the one on my 460 with the DUI has an approx 45 degree angle and a "flat" spot that clears the DUI. its a stock Ford part that I saw somewhere, it came on my motor. Im sure there not too hard to find, I can take a pic if youd like
The one i have has the flat spot too.

Thats why I said the chrome one looks like mine.

When its mounted on a 351C the bolt holes on the C make it point straight at the alt.

·
Registered
283 Posts
On 2006-08-02 14:52, GregP wrote:
I have seen a lot of people go through all kinds of trouble to mount that POS HEI distributor on a Ford.

Not pointing any fingers at you specifically, bhotch, but I just can't get it through my thick skull what draws a person to buy that crap instead of using the Duraspark system.

Greg
My thoughts exactly.....

Duraspark dizzy + recurve springs + MSD6AL + MSD Blaster HVC coil = all the ignition you'll ever need for a street strip vehicle.

Send that POS DUI back to PD and get a good ignition sytem.

I've owned Chevy trucks for 14 years and the HEI system is NOT reliable, no matter how much advertising dollars PD throws at it.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have seen aluminum thermostat housing made for chevy's that have a o-ring seal so you can rotate the neck. Maybe they make one for a ford?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts