Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since I've been on this forum. As such, my 68 Ranchero has been sitting in my garage since March, with no motor or trans. I picked up a T5 and wanted to put it in. I got the car taken apart, the dash taken out, and got busy with other stuff. So here goes...

I need help figuring out how to engage/disengage the clutch. The truck came with a C4, so I don't have any mechanical linkage to work with. I am using all stock 5.0 Mustang stuff (clutch, fork, bearings, starter, flywheel). I would like to use the clutch cable system. Has anyone done this swap and used the cable?

I know I need to get ahold of a stock Ranchero (Fairlane or Torino) clutch pedal assembly. Can I modify a stock clutch pedal to accept a cable? Do I have to run a quadrant like the 5.0? Can I use the readily-available clutch cable kit for classic Mustangs?

Right now it seems like there are sooooo many things to figure out. I really want to get it put together and out on the road again.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is the general idea of what I am trying to do. Each of those places has kits to make the stock Mustang clutch pedal accept a clutch cable. There is a ton of info on the conversion for the Mustangs... but has anybody done the clutch cable to a Fairlane/Torino/Ranchero?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just picked up a 4 speed pedal assembly off of ebay. It should be here next week. Mustang Steve was awesome and provided me with some measurements so the quadrant/cable will work (see below). I am definitley going to need to cut the cowl in order to get the quadrant to fit. The booster might interfere with the clutch cable. I won't know until I get it mocked up.

The cable needs to run horizontally from the quadrant (like a tangent), through the firewall, into a cable stop.
Clearance needed from the top of the clutch pedal (as measured from pivot point) = 3"
Distance from firewall to clutch pedal pivot = about 5.5"

1 - 5 of 5 Posts