Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, im a rookie. I am good with engines, but when it comes to tranny's im lost. I really hate the M5R2 5 sp in my truck, what I was hoping to do is swap in another 5 sp with better ratios. The T5 has great gears, but I have no idea if it will fit in a truck and what problems I may come across. Im not worried about hp rating, or towing anything, my truck is very light / short bed / 2wd / etc. Would a swap like this be feasible? the main questions I have

shifter location

cross member

speedo

anything else?

any help appreciated

·
Registered
5,551 Posts
You'll probably want to pick up a Chevy S10 tail shaft and top cover. The shifter is located further forward than the Mustang style tail. That should place the shifter better in relation to where the M5R2 is already.

Other than that, take it easy on it. The full size pickups are harder on transmissions due to their weight, especially with a T5 that's made originally for a car that weighed 2800 lbs ahd had 100 HP tops. Even the V8 T5s arent' all that strong if you plan on really beating on it...and with that long shifter required to reach your hand, you'll be putting a little more strain on the rails and forks due to extra leverage.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.