Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to do a T5 swap into my 65 mustang with a 289. what flywheel/clutch combo should i get. I want to use the T5 bellhousing. the options ive seen are a old 289 type flywheel with 157 teeth. Ive also seen a 164 tooth flywheel that will accept a 10.5 and 11" clutch. I have a practically brand new clutch and pressure plate that is meant for the late model 5.0. could i use this with either flywheel. what about starter issues with the 157 vs 164 tooth and T5 bellhousing?

·
Registered
122 Posts
The 289 flywheel will work just fine. I use one behind a 351w with no problems. The engine has been in the car for over 10 years.
Whichever way you go, you need to match the flywheel, engine plate. and bell housing. Otherwise it won't work. The parts are different sizes between the 157, 164, & 5.0 flywheels. Often the same clutch will work on several different flywheels. You must make sure yours does. Don't worry about getting a clutch that is too weak. Even hemi's use 10' or 10.5' clutches.
The 5.0 flywheel will not work as it has a different balance that the 289. However you could re balance it. Then you would need the 5.0 pieces.

·
Registered
7,470 Posts
The T5 bellhousing is designed around a 157 tooth flywheel. If you use it, you will have to get a 157 tooth 28oz (old balance) flywheel. A 164 tooth flywheel won't work because the starter position will be wrong... plus it might not even fit inside the smaller bellhousing.

You can probably use the old 157 tooth 289 flywheel. If you do, you'll be using the standard 10" or 10.5" long (3 finger) clutch.

If you come up with a "swap" flywheel that is like the later model 5.0 unit except for having the older 28 oz balance... you'll need to use a 5.0 diaphragm clutch.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Theres a great article in the archives @ ahem FordMuscle.com. Check it out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts