Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas out there on getting the right shifter location when swapping a T5 in to a '63 Ranchero?
I'm concerned that it will be too far back without modification.
It has a factory 4 speed in it now.

·
Premium Member
14,758 Posts
Check the location of your shifter on your tranny. Is it closer to the end of the tail shaft or more on the middle? The midshift tail shaft on chebbie s10's like Walt said may be necessary. Does your car have bench or buckets? From my understanding, 4 speed cars don't need the mid-shift conversion unless you have bench seats. In fact, if you use the mid-shift you may end up having to cut a new hole!! If you do have a bench, you may be able to work around this by "reverseing" the shifter ala Shelby Cobra's. It'll give you several inches of room to work with.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanx for the reply's!!
The S-10 tailshaft is the way to go from the various opinions that been issued.
This Ranchero is a "bench" version and the shifter is pretty far forward.
I do not want to cut it. This is a very original vehicle a 260 and a four speed and I'm trying to do the swap as clean as possible. I have a 289 that I'm going to slide in and I want some better gearing for the highway.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hopefully, you are aware that 260's had a 5 bolt bellhousing. Early 289's had 5 bolt as well but most of them are gone. After change L5, all smallblocks use 6 bolts. NO, you can't interchange them.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanx SlowFord!! You are the man!
I'll definitely check those guys out.
That could be the way to go. At least it looks like a step in right direction.
When I get it all sorted, i'll post some results.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
I am in the process of putting in a T5-Z prepared by Bruce Couture (of Moderndriveline) right now on my '61 Falcon. He shortened the tailshaft for me (as the picture the other person posted shows). Bruce was very up front with me that he had not done the crossmember for the early Falcons yet, and since I'm in LA and he's in San Jose, he's been doing it blindly. He has done plenty for the square birds though. He gave me the crossmember for a '64 or '65 and my buddy and I have had to significantly modify the crossmember. Also, I'm going to have to cut out and rebuild the tranny tunnel. That may be due to the fact that I've got a Mustang II IFS from Rod & Custom, and it may raise the engine a bit more than "stock" mount locations would. I probably could have gotten away with just banging out the tunnel a bit with a hammer. I would say contact Bruce at Moderndriveline, and if you live anywhere near San Jose, get your car to him and have him prepare the X-member for you. Also, the standard clutch cable he provides was about 2 1/2" too short. I don't mean for you to be turned off by Bruce; to the contrary, he provides top quality parts and very good personal service. It's just that he's still in "learning mode" for the early Falcons by his own admission. See beforehand if you're going to have to cut the tranny tunnel. I've got a 302 in my car. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
I should have said the clutch cable provided was 2 1/2 inches too long, not too short. By the way, whether or not you go with Bruce for his trannies or other parts, his clutch cable alone is fabulous. Very simple, smooth and easily adjustable at the firewall. Say goodbye to those difficult Z-bars. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanx HankyJ for the heads up!
Where in L.A. are you? I'm in L.A as well.
Maybe I can get educated some?

·
Premium Member
2,908 Posts
I live a stone's throw from the LA County Museum of Art, the La Brea Tar Pits area. My car is at my sister's garage in Ontario. Once the job is done (basically, I need to get it to a shop for the tranny tunnel), we could meet up and you could look at it for yourself.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts