Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done a T5 swap into a 66 mustang with a 289 with the original 28 oz 157 tooth flywheel if so which starter did you use?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would use the high torque mini-starter from the '92 and up fox bodies. It is lighter and turns the motor over better on hot days. And I haven't had one get loose or break the nose cone yet!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks toploader. will it work on the old 157 flywheel. I tried puttin an automatic on in when the car was a 3 speed and it ate up the ring gear.

·
Registered
123 Posts
On 2006-04-11 09:18, warrenyork wrote:
thanks toploader. will it work on the old 157 flywheel. I tried puttin an automatic on in when the car was a 3 speed and it ate up the ring gear.
Yep, T5s are different, they dont care if its an auto or manual starter. The modern starters are the same for auto & manual, and I've seen people successfully use both auto and manual vintage starters with T5s.

·
Registered
123 Posts
On 2006-04-15 19:43, josepheblack wrote:
I have about the same setup. I used a TKO500 with the original bellhousing and starter. The only problem I have is it "factory starter" hits a little at the tie rod end. I also want to go with a high torque starter.
Use a 92-93 Mustang, 5.0 Cougar starter, 89-91 & 92 CrownVic/Marquis starter. Other Ford mini-starters with the correct nose will work too, they used them in everything

·
Registered
743 Posts
I had a 289 with a C4 then upgraded to a 86 block and T5 and the starter from my auto setup works.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The starter for the old 4 speed manual is just a hair and I mean a hair too large. It will fit but it will grind....just went through this. A starter for an automatic (65-66) will work just fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts