Ford Muscle Cars Tech Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a v8 swap on my 4 cly mustang.The transmssion is for a 4 cly but can i just change the gears and shaft and everything but just keep the box of the trans instead of buying a world class tranny to hold up to my new 5.0 engine

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my son started this sub sorry fellas he's going nuts with his car he's 15 yrs old and I bought him an 93 in mint con.its a 4 cyl project I wish I could post some pics so you fellas out there can see the beuty in progress but dont know how.I yanked out the motor the tranny the exhaust and the 7.5 rear today I bought him an 8.8 out of an 87 and the 5.0 engine.we installed the rear after we wire brushed it and sprayed it black it looks damn good.we also removed minimal surface rust from the under carraige and sprayed it black it looks like a picaso and sprayed the gas tank.however my question.I have a 347 efi and am going carburated,I dont like all that computer stuff am old school.I have a 750 demon and a vic ported intake for my 86 and all the goodies.will my ecu unit and my wiring harness work for him.my car is an 86 also came with the t5 it has 24 pds injectors 70 mm tb a adjustable fuel pressure reg and he's getting bbk shorty headers and smog delete bbk x pipe with no cats and flow master exhaust will this set up be ok for his 87 engine wich I beleive it was also speed density in that year.I dont want to build him a killa stang he's still a kid whats your advise.am also welding in edelbrock tubular sub connectors and giving him my tower strut bar wich is for efi what you ya think ford men am I on the right track?or am I going overboard

·
Registered
55 Posts
not from what i see...i suggest highly using the harness from the car in which the 5.0 came from. I see that 86, 87, 88 are different from each other along with fact that 4 cyl and 5.0 are different also. I have gone over schematic after schematic for several people on a different forum doing the 4 to 5.0 swap and end up retrieving the harness instead.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what bout the ecu can he use mine out of the 86 or am I going to have to hunt for one out of an 87 his engine came from a 87 5.0 also what do I need to have his engine fire up with no problems on this 4 cyl conversion is there anything else I may be overlooking

·
Registered
848 Posts
you can use the 4cyl t5, just get the right pilot bering, they are on ebay all the time. it will hold up for a while while you get a v-8 t5

1 - 7 of 7 Posts